active speakers, Paradise? Trouble in paradise?

Anyone ever hear or own active speakers that made you forget about all the rest?

Or are active speakers best left to the studio engineers?

And DJ’s?
blindjim
Shad,

Fair observation. However, I have measured on axis (uni mic) and something like power response (multi sweeps with an omni mic) at my listening position. I suspect that you'd be pretty impressed by both the absolute quality of each measurement and by the convergence between them.

BTW, I've treated the crap out of the room (absorbtion, diffusion, hemholtz, etc.) and use DRC EQ below 75hz, which helps.

As I indicated earlier, omnis are merely one more way to
skin this particular part or our common SQ cat and, while I think it's a good approach, I'm the first to admit that it is neither perfect, nor suitable for every taste.

Marty
Post removed 
My Genelec 8020B have a 4 inch mid/woofer and are crossed over at 3 KHz.

The dispersion is nice and even but the woofer is small and Genelec provide plots (which you can find on line)
Hi Jim,

I’m a firm believer that the best sound possible is done through an active set up. You send just what you want to the amp and driver it controls. You can make any speaker active by defeating the passive crossover and taking advantage of an active crossover such as a Mini DSP. Active means that the crossover is digital and before the amplification. The amp's full power is used just for the signal you send it rather than it getting choked by a passive crossover. You can create any slope, Q, and delay that you like with the easy straight forward Mini DSP software. There are FIR and IIR filters, you can read up in the advantages and disadvantages of each. I use a mini DSP in IIR processing at 56bit/96kHz and actively control 8 channels on my system. Upper/lower main left and right, Left/Right main sub, and two rear subs. Pairing this ability with Room EQ Wizard (REW)/Multi Sub Optimizer (MSO) you can get the best sound for multiple listening positions. Most room distortion is in the sub region due to the large standing waves (not much needs to be done above 80Hz). A few measurements in REW and fed into MSO let the computer crunch away and it delivers slope data that can be plugged into your active Mini DSP crossover. It will resolve time delay so the sound reaching your ear is what was recorded, manipulate phase to cancel unwanted waves at the listening position, and minimize distortion from your room which makes boomy unnatural base. When your room is measured in REW you can see what you hear. A sub array (4 or more) is really necessary to properly handle Sub EQ. REW even has a virtual room set up you can quickly build and it will tell help you see where best to place your speakers to do the least correction as others have spoken to here.

Follow the white rabbit. . .

-Steve