APL 3910, Exemplar 3910, MF KW, Esoteric X-01?

I currently have Krell KPS-28c cd player ($8500). I am thinking about upgrading in the near future. Please help me decide which player – most important for me is “red book” format. The rest of my gears are Krell KCT pre-amp ($9000), Krell 400cx amp ($10500) and Wilson Audio Sophia ($11500). Following are possible players in random order:
Musical Fidelity KW SACD - $7,000.00
Krell CD/SACD – to be released soon (because of CAST) - $?
ESOTERIC X-01 SACD/CD - $13,00.00
APL 3910 - $5000.00
Exemplar 3910- $4000.00

Will I be down grading instead of upgrading with any of the above player?

Thanks in advance for your input
sd2005gt
Tbg - I am curious to know if the Exemplar 5910 is significantly more superior then the Expemplar 2900 - please post your finding as soon as you have enough hours on it. Also would like to know how it stacks up with the Reimyo CDP777
Sd2005gt, I am most curious about the Reimyo also, but it may be difficult as I do not own the Reimyo.
First off I sell high end audio in Michigan and go to CES every January to hear what's new. I owned the Esoteric DV-50S briefly and found it to be dry and "hi-fi" sounding yet it was better than most things I'd heard up to that point and at a reasonable price. The $20-40k digital systems I've heard offer very small improvements but are a big rip-off.

Fortunately I was able to hear one of the APL units at last years CES and decided I needed one. I ordered the 3910 that I'd heard at the show but by the time I received it several significant upgrades had been added.

I'll cut to the chase and tell you it is by far the best digital I've heard. On red book cd's it doesn't even sound like digital. It's like really good analog without the ticks and pops but better in many ways.

After I e-mailed Alex to tell him how happy I was with my new player he informed me that he had just received some new dac's that are pop in replacements for the ones in mine and that as good as my sound is "the new dac's are so good it's scary." I'll be sending mine back for a quick upgrade soon but the funny thing is the sound is so good right now I really can't imagine how it can be improved.

I wouldn't waste my time worrying about what else might be out there. After many years of searching for a player that doesn't have the usual digital grain and edginess to the sound my search is over. Alex's player is so good I won't waste words trying to describe it other than to say it absolutely sounds "real."

Happy hunting,

Bob Fogel
Arthur's Audio
Orchard Lake, MI
Bob Fogel's impressions of the APL and identical to mine for the Exemplar 3910. I would have to say that I have a new Exemplar 3910 which is $2000 more expensive. Thus far it is outstanding and clearly better to my old 3910, however, it has only 90 hours of breakin on it. Previous experience suggests that at least 200 are needed.

Although I heard a comparison of the APL/Phillips SACD 1000 and the early Exemplar 2900 under very unfavorable circumstances, I have not had them side by side for a comparison.
Bob,
The new DAC upgrade for the APL is a dramatic leap forward. I know, it seemed impossible to me as well.
Enjoy,
Howard