Speakers under $3-4,000?

Have MC2500, need some speakers and don't have an unlimited budget. Used of course. Have a big sub I can use if necessary.
climbmadone
05-04-11 - Climbmadone
Have MC2500, need some speakers and don't have an unlimited budget. Used of course. Have a big sub I can use if necessary.
If you want usable suggestions, please supply us with a description of the rest of your system, especially your amps(if you are keeping them). Also, the size of your room and how much distance from the front and side walls you have for placing them. How far will you sit from them?

Finally, what type of music you like to listen to, how loud you listen, and what are your musical priorities (bass, midrange, high frequencies, pace, soundstage, depth, etc)

Also, some other speakers you've heard and liked or disliked.
I would not buy used magnepans. The 3.6 has delamination issues that are atmosphere and age related. A new pair of Magnepans 1.7s would be a much better buy. They use foil instead of round wire for the "driver" and delamination will be minimized (or gone...).

Used Thiel CS2.4 would be a more traditional option (and my vote). They can be a touch bright but have very good bass to off set it.

Focal Electra 1027S:
Well balance, clear mids but a little light in the bass
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1309213779&/Focal-Electra-1027S-macassar

Dynaudio C1:
Do a google search, countless good reviews.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1309611046&/Dynaudio-C1-maple--pristine

Dynaudio Contour S1.4
Cheaper alternative to the C1
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1307511192&/Dynaudio-Contour-S1.4-cherry-m

I have not heard the Usher Mini Dancer II but they are also getting very good reviews and look very nice.
James what about the following:

Monitors with Ribbon Tweeter combo
Mark & Daniel maximus
Volent Paragon VL-2
Dali Helicon 300 or 400

Monitors Soft Dome Tweeter
Vienna Acoustics Hadyn
Focal 1007 Be
Totem The One

Prefer ribbon tweeter speakers for
The crossover was slightly upgraded on the 3.6s but i do not know the year. My new in 2010 3.6s have a larger crossover box the connects and sits vertically. The older box was smaller and connected horizontally.
The Glue for the wires/panels was changed like five years ago or so, and the story is the newer ones will never delaminate.
the older ones can be refurbished by Magnepan, and at the Magnepan boards, folks are regluing them and it is not a big deal, certainly not a speaker killer sort of problem.
The outer socks are also replaceable.
The basic 3.6 has been around for 15 years.
And old ones are just as musical as new ones.
The delaminating is sort of the Magnepan equivalent of needing new foam surrounds on woofers IMO.
Magnepan has always held great on used prices, and buying them now, the price will not drop again for a lot of years.
The one issue is shipping.
I almost had a chance to buy a used pair close enough to pick up. but the money right at that moment fell through for me. So i suggest watching for a pair close enough to go pick up. The panels are large and bulky, so shipping is expensive, and fraught with problems, though new ones never have shipping problems. Any van can be used to carry them.