Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
Well, I would suggest picking up some live Bela Fleck. I have Live Art which is pretty good, though I miss the conitnuity of a complete live performance (for example, some songs have sax and the overall band lineup changes in general throughout the different songs). Though I haven't heard it, others have recommended the latest Live at the Quick to me, so that should be worth checking out.

BTW, another really good jazz band in the jamband scene is Galactic. They are probably the best show I've ever scene.
Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is the classic album that all jazz muscians acknowledge as one of the most important recording ever. Also, anything with Ray Brown.
Here's 2 of the BEST. Go to the website WWW.DCCBLOWOUT.COM and buy the M&K label dual album gold cd entitled "For Duke" & "Fatha" while you are there, pick up the DCC CD title "A Portrait of PeeWee" Both of these are on sale for $17.99 & $4.99 at DCCBLOWOUT(the best prices around for these). I have both cd's and they are two of the most toe tapping Jazz recordings I have ever heard. Wilson Audio used the "For Duke" record to showcase their new Watt/Puppy 7.0's at HE2002 in NYC this year. I was there and every person in the Wilson room was astonished at how real the "For Duke" album track "Take The A Train" sounded coming out of the watt/puppy 7.0's. The DCC label PeeWee Russel cd is also incredible. The Last track has a drum solo that sounds like it is in your living room. Not only are these both very musical, they are also two of the best remastered cd's I've heard. If you love Jazz this is the best $23.00 you will ever spend.
The Philadelphia Experiment...if you dont own this...Santa is gonna slap ya! Merry x-mas....