Why magic at 80 db?

I have Salk SoundScape speakers that have an Accuton midrange driver. When I listen to music at moderate levels, the music sounds plain. There is little that would make me think that I was listening to a great speaker. When I turn the music up till it reads 80 to 85 db on my Rat Shack meter, magic happens. I guess it is like that with live music, but I am not sure. I never take my meter with me. I am just confused. Anybody have any comments?

Bob
rsimms
Funny, circular definition issue, I've been told that one of the easiest ways to dial in ~83db "freehand" is that it will be just a touch louder than anyone could or would comfortable want to talk over.... Seems like we've all triangulated the same, relatively narrow volume range coming at it from entirely different directions.
If I remember right, when background noise at work is 84 dB or 104 dB and above, during a 8-hour time weighted average, OSHA requires single and double hearing protection, respectively. Sound pressure doubles with each 6 dB of volume gain.

If your hearing is good enough to enjoy all the music near 80 dB, that's great. The sensitivity of our hearing naturally rises much quickly near 80-86 dB and up. Too much sound pressure causes our ears themselves to add distortion, with or without pain, our warning system to back off.

Smoother, well-balanced systems can obviously be played and enjoyed at higher sound pressure levels. Moderate music volumes sound good, yet, there's a premium sound pressure window that's a combination of the music system and our uniquely different ears. As the sound pressure approaches 80 dB, the doubling of sound pressure with each 6 dB gain pressurizes our ears when they're naturally much more sensitive to volume gains.
Rsimms,
Incredibly interesting thoughts here by you.
When I listen, I try to set the volume at what I could imagine Nancy Wilson, Renee Olstead would be singing at, IF they were in my room with me, standing between my speakers.
Anything more or less leaves me wanting, or in pain.

Great thread...great.

Good listening,
Larry
i use to have this problem...kinda was running a krell s-300i into aerial 7b's. it never sounded great at low listening levels but improved once above the 80db mark. never understood why but think this thread sheds some light on it. things got *much better* after upgrading to an ml432. spec wise...the ml is overkill in the power department for the 7b's. real world wise, it's just right. seems certain speakers need more power then the mfg's rating to really shine imho.