Will computer to DAC replace transports and cdp's?

From my limited reading it seems that a cd burned to a hard drive will be a bit for bit copy because of the software programs used to rip music files. A transport has to get it right the first time and feed the info to a dac. Wavelength audio has some interesting articles about computer based systems and have made a strong statement that a transport will never be able to compete with a hard drive>dac combo.

Anybody care to share their thoughts?
kublakhan
"Will computer to DAC replace transports and cdp's?"

The answer is NO, if superior audio quality is desired of course. Otherwise we might as well get I-PODs.
Computer to DAC is quite a bit different from an iPod, so you lost me there. But more generally, why is the answer "No"? Does the answer have to be "No"? Because clearly this is the direction many of us intend to go, even if it means giving up the last bit of sonic excellence. But of course we'd rather not give up anything.
Drubin, You can sure run the latest iPod to a DAC if you want, with similar results. :)

I'd agree that the Computer Audio has a potential and a future, but there are many issues to be addressed first with it, if that "last bit of sonic excellence" is required, and believe me, the "last bit" is a "huge bit". :)

I would prefer to keep all the reasons for my self (for now) because otherwise I'd be providing proprietary information. When the time comes, you will be one of the first to find out what I mean.

Regards,
Alex
Based on Alex's last two posts, it wouldn't surprise me to see a totally re-engineered iPod coming from APL-HiFi in the future - for the low, low, price of $4995 no less.
Just an iPod with a digital output - USB2.0 or Firewire, preferably - would be great. Not if it meant I had to use iTunes, but if it meant I could carry around lossless music and plug it directly into a high-end DAC, it would be great.
Aplhifi, I'm glad to hear that computer audio has a future since virtually ever disc released today is recorded, mixed and/or mastered via a computer based system.