Anybody have a problem buying modded units.

I was looking at a modded unit here on Audiogon, and i ultimately decided not to buy it. Firstly, the seller couldn't describe what the mods were and only said that "it blew me away", and secondly, a sense that they are hard to resll. What do people think?

David
deshapiro
Just as an FYI, the "seller" may have not been able to describe the mod as some modders, like Steve at Great Northern Sound, do not divulge what components are part of the mod. Whereas, the Parts Connexion will email you an exact listing of all components that went into the mod.

I have had components modded by both of these companies (Resolution Audio and Sonic Frontiers) and sold the components on Audiogon within a week. I thought there was definite improvements in sound, and sold the items without losing hardly anything on the mods.

Like was stated in an earlier comment, it depends on who is doing the mod and what their expertise is in. For example, Chris Johnson with Parts Conn. once did R&D for Sonic Frontiers, so I felt more comfortable in utilizing his services on the SF preamp mod.
I don't really want to identify the piece and it's mods, since it is still for sale here. However, in the long run, I always think of resellability (if I can coin a word). After 7 years, i'm finally settling on pieces that give me a sound that I like, in conjunction with the rest of my system. Nevertheless, everything may eventually get sold. I would buy a modded piece if I knew what the mods were, and if i knew what the difference in the sound was. All too often on Audiogon, I buy a piece to audition it, and sell it if i don't like it. This particular purchase fits squarely in that category.

David
APL HiFi provides complete descriptions of their modifications on the website, although some of the information is now outdated, including pricing, as Alex has changed parts, and improved his design (which he does continuously). Besides Alex, the owners of his players have the most up to date information about what is current, but for a good idea of what's involved on the APL Denon 3910, I'd suggest looking at the website.

The great thing about APL is there are no mysteries about what you're buying. At least that's a great thing to me.
Grant the same with DanWright,Modwright, you get
a copy of what was done.I believe most of the
modders do the same.
Only mod I am planning on getting is on my McCormack amp and work is done by SMc. And I am only doing it because I plan to keep the amp for a long time. But in any case, when you try to sell a modded component, the resale value is mighty low. Not worth it if you are not sure you're keeping the unit long enough to justify the mod expenses. JMO.