green mountains

hi,

I am a green mountain user, I have the chromas. I want to find out about other peoples opinions on the Eos or Rio speakers from green mountain audio?
kenjit
kenjit

If the Chroma is adjustable, what you are hearing may be attributed to that. I know I can make my C3s sound horrible without much effort. And when you get it right, it's pretty obvious. Are you sure you have them dialed in as well as possible?

Shakey
I auditioned the Eos and Eos HD. I have hesitated to report on it, because the experience fell so far below expectations that I'm inclined to blame it on dealer set up. I had expected to buy the speakers, because they were an excellent on paper match with the room I had then, and Roy was so helpful. But I, and the non-audiophile friend who went with me, couldn't wait to get out of the demo. "Forwardness" indeed; I'd have characterized the upper registers as "edgy," or "brittle." I read one UK review that was consistent with my impressions.

Now I should say that I am one of those people who is overly sensitive to brightness in the highs, and numerous well-liked, highly "detailed" audiophile speakers are torment for me. But I would say that if you have this issue, it might be wise to approach the Eos with caution.

FWIW, I found the HD to be conspicupiusly better than the base model, though the my issues remained.

I should stress, since I've been a bit critical, that YMMV. As I recall, Shakeydeal went to GMAs from the Montana's I now use, and likes them much better.

John
Kenjit, I agree with Dgarretson. The couple of nearest audiophiles I've had in for listening sessions did not remark on any frequency imbalance of either EOS or the updated EOS HX. Nor of any bass deciciency of the Hammer Lites.

Prdprez, I have spent many hours of discussion on phone and at GMA discussing details of loudspeaker design and measurement. The discussions were very informative and educational as my graduate study of physics ended over 40 years ago. I believe part of Roy's mission is in education and is very generous with his time.
shakeydeal, the chroma looks like the Rio so its not adjustable. And the C3 use different drive units so its not possible to compare with that. But yes I have dialed them in and played with the positioning. I would say they are highly room dependent. I don't know why but the sound quality (including but not limited to the tonality) can vary from one extreme to another. It's interesting what you say about making them sound horrible. Maybe its because of the shallow crossover slope they use. Thats the only common factor between the C3 and my chroma.
Jdoris, what you say is interesting, do you have an email so that we can talk about that more? thanks
More to discover