3 identical fronts or dedicated CC

I've been looking at replacing my aging Vandersteen 2Cs. I'm stuck with a plasma screen over a fireplace and currently have a Vienna Waltz Grand on the mantle as a CC.
I've been considering getting 3 identical speakers, putting the CC in front of the rarely used fireplace, considering standmounts. I'm getting some resistance with that planfrom my wife.
My budget is up to about $2500/speaker.
I've been considering Selah Tempesta or Tempesta Extreme, several Salk models, Vapor Cirrus. Philharmonics are out due to the look and size.
Ran across a great deal on the TAD inspired Pioneer EX series. I can get the S-2EX for about $5k/pr including the stands, MSRP is $8500. They won't sell me a single S-2EX for the center, but they do have the S-7EX which I can get for about $3k including the stand. It would be about 21-22" high on the stand. I know it's better to have 3 of the sam, but given the concentric tweeter/mid on these speakers, the vertical dispersion should be excellent and I wonder if it would sound just as good, if not better since the CC has 2 woofers while the S2s have one. I think it will also look less imposing that way.

Opinions?
saeyedoc
An identical center channel is the only way to get an exact timbre match across the front sound stage using free standing speakers, although you can get very close with "center" speakers having a coaxial or vertical MT array, driver compliment matching the main speakers (in-wall speakers in that configuration will match because their baffle configuration does).

Your brain forms its impression of timbre from the spectra of a direct sound and what it believes to be the sound's reflections.

Although one can easily make different speakers identical on-axis, lobing from horizontal driver pairs and differences in polar response from the center channel baffle being wider horizontally but narrower vertically mean it won't be exact.

Different low frequency extension will negatively impact phantom image placement due to differing phase lead caused by the speakers' high pass function.

Phantom image placement will also suffer if the cross-over points and slopes are not identical because the left/right and center channels all-pass behavior and relative phase will vary at different frequencies.
Do you want to sleep with your wife? Or sleep with the fishes?
You gotta ask yourself....
The EX center channels employ the same coaxial HF/MF units just as do their L/R partners and, as a result, are really good matches. OTOH, simply having any center in the center and farther from the side walls changes the timbre of its reflected sound compared with that of the L/R speakers. So a perfect match is impossible, except under extraordinary acoustical conditions, even for identical L/C/R.

Kal
"05-22-12: Elizabeth
The identical center speaker is a waste of money. And will be stupid looking just like your wife says."

That's ok, she can waste money with the best of them. Having the screen over the fireplace already looks stupid.

"Buy speakers with a dedicated center which matches the timbre of the main speakers, and fits above the fireplace."

Not any easy task trying to find something good that will fit in that tiny space. I may contact Jim Salk to see if he has any ideas.

"Just stop being an idiot...
LOL
(I must be friends with your wife hey?)"

I've tried to stop being an idiot, but after 25 years with her I've realized that's an impossible task, at least in her eyes. I know you're not her friend since she doesn't have any.

"05-23-12: Elizabeth
Do you want to sleep with your wife? Or sleep with the fishes?"

Is there a difference?
"05-23-12: Kr4
The EX center channels employ the same coaxial HF/MF units just as do their L/R partners and, as a result, are really good matches. OTOH, simply having any center in the center and farther from the side walls changes the timbre of its reflected sound compared with that of the L/R speakers. So a perfect match is impossible, except under extraordinary acoustical conditions, even for identical L/C/R.

Kal"

Good points. Your review is one of the things that got me thinking about the EXs, they were definitely not on my radar. I think it may be easier to get her to accept a CC that's <2 feet high, it won't seem as imposing as 3 towers or stand mounts. Given the excellent vertical dispersion of the Pioneer, I suppose it shouldn't be much of a problem.
I don't know why I'm so enamored of the EX series, I think the cheapskate in me likes the idea of getting a good deal. Should make resale without getting killed easier if for some reason we don't like them.