bass suggestions 12 x 16 room....

what would be the ideal arrangement for producing non boomy bass in this enviroment? I currently have foorstanders with 8in drivers...is this too much for this room?...Bass is a tad thick in the lower registers...room nodes?
128x128phasecorrect
Check out these Epiks, VERY nice subwoofs for not much money...

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

-RW-
Have you ever taken room measurements to see where the problem frequencies are occuring?
For starters keep speakers out of the corners, and away from the back wall- these positions tend to reinforce bass, especially if the speakers have rear-firing ports. I have a similar sized room (11x13) speakers on the long wall. Speakers are just over 5 feet apart and 18 inches from the back wall, toe-in is one inch making them 19" away from the back wall on the outer corner. Listening position is about 6 1/2 feet back from the leading edge of the baffles. My speakers are pretty wide so yours may need to be further apart if they're tower type speakers. Placement can make mediocre speakers sound better than you'd think, and great speakers poorly placed will sound terrible. Experiment-I put blue masking tape on the floor when I find a placement I like so If I make a change it can be reversed if it isn't an improvement.