Does anyone out there NOT hear a difference in CD

Players? I am tossing around the idea of replacing my Pioneer Elite PD-65 with a Cambridge Audio 840c, but only if their is a CLEAR improvement. In the past I have had a difficult time hearing a noticeable difference in CD players from cheap ones to higher mid-fi ones.
fruff1976
Mrtennis, I feel that you have a knack of twisting and playing with words. You mentioned that no system is neutral and one shall accept imperfection as reality. Please kindly elucidate how would you qualify a system as "imperfect".

You mentioned the term "more neutral" or "more accurate" as not logical, and "less erroneous" as logical. You cited accuracy and neutrality are unattainable. Please kindly elucidate how would you qualify a system as "less erroneous".

There has got to be a benchmark for comparison purposes although this hobby is mostly about subjectivity. It is quite a norm for folks to use neutral, accurate, bright, warm etc. as adjectives to describe the sound of any particular system. Otherwise, there won't be any discussions in audio at the first place. As a reviewer yourself I think you should have used quite a lot of these terms in your write-up?

While I may agree with a few of your points, I am confused by your absolute statements made most of the time.
Shadorne - I'm simply speaking of using one's own long-term to make careful determinations over time. Of course one has to be meticulous about this sort of thing; and of course an "upgrade" can add coloration.

Mrtennis - I agree with you completely, including where you say "more" neutral is illogical. I imagine - and hope - that people understood the gist of what I was saying, despite my own imperfection : )
Nowhere is MrTennis so desperately needed as among a forumload of illogical audiophiles

as in MrSpock, Audio Trek, "to boldy go where no audiophile has gone before", episode "I, Mudd", as in "is that muddy sound or is it just me being illogical".
the book of engineering recorded music and remastering recorded music continues to be written. for better or worse however, there will be no consensus. the good news is that 'no consensus' makes recorded music infinitely more interesting. the 'feel' of a recorded track(or song)is a piece of the whole. what the engineer and/or artist is going for is their vision, not ours. take that away to achieve a singular(more uniform) high fidelity, and you're left with a hobby where everything's vanilla
Music is an art.

Recording is an art based on science

Audio is mostly a science.

A successful system is one that works well as a whole and consistently allows the key elements of the recorded art to shine through and produce enjoyment, despite the inherent technical flaws accumulated via both recording and playback during any particular listening session.