DAC improvement

Interested in hearing from those who have gone to a standalone DAC. Particularly those models from Benchmark. Would like info as to (1) what component you are using to feed the DAC (2) the component to which you have the output of the DAC connected (3) the type of connection (4) what setup you were using before going to the DAC, and (5) your take on the benefits experienced from the change.
musicnoise
I also had the Benchmark dac-1 in my system.
Then I auditioned the Bryston BCD-1 and sold the Dac-1.
The BCD-1 has excellent bottom end,air ect.She's alot closer to the analog sound which I like alot.I am using the analog outs of the BCD-1 into my AV-8(stereo direct)no processing.
I even took out my DD-15 for music as the BCD-1 gives me more
refined bottom end weight.I hope this is my last cdp,she's
very satisfying.
I replaced a Cary 303/300 with a QSonix server into a DAC-1. The Benchmark is a "leaner" sounding unit than the Cary (even with the Cary's ss output stage) in the loop. The DAC-1's sound polarizes opinion like so many other compnents with this tonal quality (IMHO Quads, the original Merlin VSM, and some of the ARC electronics also share this sound). Some say "transparent" other say "dry or analytical".

IMHO, the DAC-1 requires an audition even more than most components. It is also more likely to be system dependant than most components. The rest of this system is a Joule pre into either PrimaLuna monos or TAD Hibachi monos into either Verity Parsifal Encores or Merlin VSMs. The speakers and amps are the primary options in current rotation. FWIW, in this system (particularly with the Veritys) I like my DAC-1 a lot.

Good Luck,

Marty
I chose to stay out of the 'debated sonic signature of the Benchmark' altogether... without auditioning it first. the feeling I got about it by reading posts and reviews indicated to me it might not be for me. eg., above... "transparent or dry and analytical"...

Transparency is fine, especially with sources, and in fact, throughout a system, yet without the emotive infulence of nuances and subtleties true music reveals, I'll not be enjoying it for long. Been there and done that and won't do it again.

I did opt for another popular brand, the BC DAC3. It's attributes in my system, were very positive, and I enjoy immensely what it allows the system to become. I did try several power cords on it, and several digital & analog cables, along with various isolation devices, and power filters.

What works best in my rig is having the BC D3 power fed by a RSA Haley, using a Shunyata taipan Helix feed cord, and placing a Voodoo tesla II pc as the BC D3's immediate pc... the best digital cable I found was a Stereovox XV2. Under $500-$600 used, it's hard to beat!

Analog ics for it IMHO are either Synergistic Research tesla series, Acoustic Refs, Nirvana SX Ltd., or at times HT Magic IIs... pretty much in that order as well.

The analog outs feed via SE a Thor TA 1000 MK II. Usually. Which in turn drives either an Odyssey Stratos sE SS amp, or a pair of Dodd 120 MK II tube amps... I say usually as the BC D3 does a very good job as a preamp, negating the Thor.... though the influence of the Thor is hard to stay away from for long.

Source/drives for the BC D3, range in audio excellence from the SCD XA 777es, Dell PC via USB, and then whatever, thereafter. Oppo, carosel, etc.

Good luck.
(1) what component you are using to feed the DAC -- a trusty original Rega Planet CD player

(2) the component to which you have the output of the DAC connected -- Naim Nait 5i

(3) the type of connection -- RCA out from Planet to BNC in on Benchmark (via Canare RCA-to-BNC cable), Kimber PBJ from DAC to amp

(4) what setup you were using before going to the DAC -- the Rega Planet

(5) your take on the benefits experienced from the change -- a significant improvement worth the investment -- greater transparency, better defined bass, high end both smoother and more extended, more precise sense of lateral and front-to-back positioning of musicians in the soundstage, less "digit-itis" therefore easier to listen to for extended periods

In short, from this listener, thumbs up for the Benchmark DAC-1.
Post removed