Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
Macrojack, interesting POV's. I agree that, given your situation, why should you believe in God? A thought occurred to me recently though that you HAVE to being following SOMETHING. So if you aren't following God, then you are following something else. I wonder what it is?

"For those few who can't help themselves it may be possible to scrape together some of our leavings into a (MY suggestion for a) semblance of high end, but most won't even try."

Too bad hi-end can't be made simpler. It's easy to download MP3 crap online but high resolution files are hard to come by and even if you find them you have to worry about jitter, high frequency rubbish...... it gets real complicated real quick. Pity.
Tennis, I think you are referring to the "Golden Rule" (part of a moral/ethical belief system) . . Right?

The Golden Mean, or Golden Section as it's sometimes called, refers to a two-dimensional construct (a specific angle) which is derived using geometric principles.
Nsgarch and Mr Tennis will share the Golden Blivet Award this year. Both have the right idea wrongly stated.

For the rest of you:

The Golden Rule says, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". This differs from the Limbaugh Rule which says, "Do unto others before they do unto you". Rush is a vicious paranoid.

The Golden Mean or Golden Section are names applied to the Fibonacci Series in mathematics illustrated in the following link:

http://www.textism.com/bucket/fib.html

Audio designers have experimented extensively over the years with Leonardo Fibonacci"s discoveries looking for ways to avoid wave cancellation. The topic is very interesting but appears to require a fairly advanced understanding of mathematics once you move beyond the fundamental description of its function.

Why don't more people love math?
More would love good audio if they heard it. But, most people do not consider good audio to be a priority. Hence, most people will not hear good audio.