like to buy a dac?

looking to buy a dac. considered mbl and other high end but would like to get the sound without the high cost. i watch blu-ray movies and listen to sat. radio. NOT interested in owning a cd player or music server or down load music. also not looking to use a computor to store or manage music, i do that with vinyl. looking for sound, conenvience and quality. thanks
koegz
You need to think carefully. Generally to get BD to what you need for two channel you will need a DSP (something that gets you a "phantom center" and allows for sub or no sub in order to integrate LF info in the 0.1 channel). Most ordinary standalone DAC's don't offer this kind of functionality.
Sat radio isn't worth a DAC. It's all compressed and a DAC may end up making it sound worse (you'll notice that something is missing like highs and lows).
look at MSB the Platinum series has their own digital filter which is awsome nothing on the market can touch it
if you don't want to spend the money try
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1231224084&/Msb-Technology-gold-link-iii-d
The DAC is the most important piece you will own
I own the Platinum series but I started with the Gold
Better make sure of two things going into this purchase/search... that the components you want to hook into the DAC output PCM data... or can be configured to output PCM. Most DAC only accept PCM info.

or do ensure the DAC you buy accepts and converts other than PCM data. Not too many DACs do bit stream.

HD audio from Blue Ray is another item. you'll need to config your BRP to output the 24/192 so the DAC can handle it, and the DAC will of course have to deal with 24/192... this also limits DAC choices.

Good luck.
Blindjim, you opened up a can of worms in my mind with your last post,but a good can if it is going to keep me from purchasing the wrong DAC down the road. I am currently using a PCI soundcard(Echo Layla 24, with outboard break out box and DAC running pure wave) but have been wondering if i could improve sound by bypassing it entirely and running an external dac such as the Paradisea+ via my PC's USB hub ? My main concern is being able to stream audio(radio stations such as pandora and youtube etc.) through as i am able to do that now and absolutely do not want to lose that functionality. Thoughts?