Wadia 170iTransport - To mod, or not to mod?

It's been about a year now with my iTransport so I thought it was time to research mods and get opinions, recommendations.

I became interested after recently seeing the CIAudio VDC 9.0 power supply. Would this make a difference though since I plug mine into a Walker VelocitorS already? It's almost the price of the iTransport too. Plus it would require another power cord.

I'm sure there's various internal parts that would benefit, but the only other mod I had considered was upgrading the SPDIF RCA jack to a WBT NextGen Ag. I wonder if Wadia has made any changes since mine?
sakahara
Sakahara,
Why not replace that 'jittery' TI chip [PCM270X] then, or is that what the ASI mod does?
Ach, can't do that! the whole 170i is built around the PCM270X IC. You remove this IC & you basically have nothing!
I believe that the better thing to do is to re-clock the digital signal. You can use more modest re-clockers such as Monarchy DIP, GW Labs, Genesis Digital Lens. Some of these are available used.

No, the ASi mods are quite extensive but it does not replace the PCM270X IC. The ASi mods offer upgrading caps & voltage regulators, replacing the clock with a Superclock, chassis damping, better quality connectors, etc, etc. You can read more on their website. I don't have the address handy but Google it.

Why did Wadia use this chip (savings) if it's known to be 'jittery'?
yes, I'm sure that the end cost must have played a part in selecting this commodity IC. The 170i is a $380 docking station for a $250 iPod. The prices of both items match - people buying the iPod would consider the 170i as a mate. What if the 170i cost $1250 (like the Pace Car 2) - would an iPod buyer consider it as favourably as he would a $380 170i? Some would but most will not!

That Weiss Minerva FW DAC looks cool
yup! have a couple friends that own it. this DAC can go all the way to 192KHz so it can playback standard redbook & upsampled redbook. Seems to have all the flexibility that one would need today. It's the FireWire connection that allows it to support 192KHz.
Thanks, Bombaywalla

I agree, most iPod users would not see the iTransport as favorable a mate if priced like the Pace Car 2. But to me the iTransport was meant for Audiophiles, not MP3 listeners. Wadia should [have] offer a 'cost no object' version.

The GW Labs DSP is more affordable. But the problem I have with adding an outboard re-clocker is the need for another digital cable to match the one I have, as well as another power cord, and raising the cost. I also want to keep my system simple. That's one aspect of the 'computer audio' DIY I've never liked - all those extra parts, and wires, and connectors, and plugs, and cords,... aaaaggh! Doesn't work with my OCD perfectionism. ;-) Not the kind of high-end audio I want.

The Minerva is intriguing (I could use my iMac via Fire Wire), but I think my Reimyo DAP-777 is still a strong contender. I also realized from my music server trials that it takes a special set up (DAC) to match what I had with my previous CDP. The USB DAC's I auditioned just weren't delivering the sound I was accustom to. Fortunately the Reimyo DAP and iTransport did just that, and more.

I admit though, the rest of my system does make up for what the iTransport/iPod lacks so there's room for improvement at the source. It's that kind of situation where you'd have to hear it to know it. But I knew from the USB DAC's I auditioned that I'd have to find a superb DAC if I wanted to hear what I was used to hearing before. It's not as simple as getting a music server as many seem to think/imply. You can't match what you had unless it's the same DAC, or better; i.e, buying the Olive music server would not be as good unless it was running through my DAC, or it's internal DAC was comparable to what I had.

Cheers
Their are quite a few companies doing mods: Great northern sound co. i have one, Hot rod audio mods, asi and auidocom-uk.com my mod from GNS was around $750 that was including the wadia i170. Some mods can run as high as $1,800 from asi they claim their modded wadia can sound as good as the best cd transports from esoteric and cec.
Hello,

seems that some guys have the same ideas and questions, that i have.
Latest review from german "Stereoplay" testing the standard Wadia with their reference DAC, the Accustic Arts Tube-DAC II SE(7000Euro) looks not so bad. They compared the 170i(Ipod Touch) with the 6900Euro Acustic Arts Drive II SE and the result was, that each of the both have advantages in some sonic aspekts, but they cannot prefer one of them. Having a look upon the price, that´s an impressiv result for our little friend, from my point of view.
I think Bombaywalla exactly knows of what he´s speaking, and the result of this review with the external Clock/DAC tells the same story.
Thanks a lot !
Joe
I'd focus my attention on the clock and DAC downstream of the Wadia. IMHO, it only makes sense to mod the Wadia if you use its analog outputs.

I'm using mine with the Playback Designs MPS-5 as the DAC. The designer claims zero jitter and I can't hear anything to dispute this. When I compare iPod to Wadia to PD output to the PD using it's internal transport. If your DAC or separate clock is going to reclock the Wadia's output, then the ICs and connections make little or no difference, IME.

Dave