Should Equalizers make a comeback?

Some like warm, some like bright, some like neutral. Should hardware equalizers make a comeback? Basically aren't Marantz and Rotel amps just rolled off a tiny bit in upper end? In the recording world, you can buy a one box Focusrite mic preamp emulator that seeks to recreate the classics from the past (I'm sure it lacks in pure sound quality from the originals). Would something like this work for audiophiles?
aberyclark
I can understand noise etc that goes with placing something in the signal chain. If we knock EQ's, then are we saying that we just trust the mastering engineers speakers, eq's etc? Even if the mastering engineers speakers/room are far from the same sound characteristics of ours? We trust the engineer has hearing similar to ours? I think eq/tone controls are quite useful
What I miss is the variable loudness control of my old Yamaha and Vector Research receivers of MANY years ago. Worked GREAT for a little bass boost for low level listening. The Leben mentioned above has a similar feature but it is fixed to one level. Variable loudness was/is a much better way to go ... just do not forget to turn it DOWN as you turn the volume UP or you may over tax your speakers.

Jeff
Yes, just one more thing that should be in every goners tool kit. Lets you explore better sound.
I use a Behringer DEQ and can't imagine not having it. I actually tried to go without it for a while and went back. My room has a couple of nasty "peaks and valleys" that the DEQ can smooth out for me, not completely, but a little. I send a digital signal into the Behringer and then a digital signal out, to a PS Audio Link DAC III. I'm very pleased with what it does.