Is this the END of DAYS for the high end CD player

Seem like this format days are numbered like the cassette and LP. Why would you want to spend 5k or 10k+ for a high-end CD player or DAC combo??

Just trying to see what other audiophile’s thoughts are and where you guys & gals may be planing for the future. Do you stop here at the high end CD player and this format or go completely too digital files?

I'm at a quandary about investing into an expensive CD player setup.
apachef1
Having had my head spun around by digital, both in the positive and negative sense since first having heard it, I'm ready to agree with the presumptive nature of the question, 'Are we at the 'End of Days' with regard to High End Digital...meaning I suppose, pricing beyond a certain dollar figure is about to come to an end quickly, as the ROI is so shaded toward the lower end of product given the level of quality now available.
In the old days, early on in digital, the inadequicies manifested themselves as 'thin and reedy' and annoying to the ear, (for me). Turntables simply 'trounced all commers' into the world of music reproduction.
Now, almost 30 years later, we're seeing the 'limitations' as a simple 'lack of resolution', but, to my ear, not nearly as grating--if one can separate dissappointment from fidelity, or lack thereof.

In experimenting with a friend who just purchased an IMAC, and is building a music library, we did a fun experiment.
Using the 'Great Winston Ma's' recordings as a sample of what a 'truly great recording' should sound like....we recorded a piece using the 'minimum/for maximum transportability' that Mac recommends. The file took up about 14.5MB. Then, we recorded the same, using the true maximum res, least loss, and compared a (minimum) to b (maximum) to the original, while being played through a piece that I consider to be a wonderful player, the Oppo conversion piece by Exemplar.
A was 'adequate' and other than dissappointing, not annoying. B was much, more resolving (and took up 75MB by comparison), and C was of course, the best, by far.
We've come a long way in digital--and to answer the question that this site/post asks...YES, I do believe we've reached the point of no return on mega buck players.
First of all, most people lack the hardware to appreciate the differences--convenience has to be a factor in some regard and at a certain point for most of us, AND with a player like the Oppo/Exemplar, which costs $2500--why spend much more?

Best, as always,

Larry
I have to agree with Larry.... Most of us probably lack the hardware to appreciate the difference. I have been talking about the Burmester 069, it's a US$50000 player and it serious beats all aspect of my current CD player/DAC, Burmester 061. At almost 4 times the price of a 061, does it sound a lot better? Yes. Does it worth it? Depends on people. I can't afford it... yet

Yes, Burmester 069 would be categorized as the mega buck player and I couldn't believe my years. Changing the from 061 to 069 during an audition... the difference was MIND BOGGLING!

CD on 069 > WAV on 069 > CD 0n 061 > WAV on 061.

On some tracks, the difference between CDs and WAV on 061 were minimal and requires your full attention to hear the difference. On some tracks, the differences were pronounced. However, the differences between CDs and WAV on 069 were NIGHT AND DAY! Keep in mind that the 061 and 069 has the SAME DAC!

So... why would the SAME DAC circuit sounds so DIFFERENT between these 2 players? Like I said, a belt-drive CD mechanism with error of tolerance that is less than 1/3000 of an inch, huge power supply that weights 50lbs (25kg), has no sound distorting capacitor and of course other trickeries to eliminate jitter, and it has a better internal crystal clock. All the component that goes into a 069 is probably of higher quality/grade than the ones in 061.

According to Burmester.. "Just like analogue record players, the belt-drive CD player offers enhanced de-coupling of the record medium from the drive unit. The rotation of the CD is held completely even without sound distorting vibrations or staggering. Therefore, the CD is read out with considerable higher precision and is not afflicted with electronic jitter. In addition to that, the 069 is fully balanced and completely DC-coupled without distorting capacitors in the signal path". Is it snake oil? Not according to my ears....

"I’ve heard no CD player I can credibly describe as "better“ than the 069.“(TAS 09/2008)
“The Absolute Sound” selected the 069 as “CD Player of the Year”.
"Outstanding sound performance in every respect.“ (TAS 09/2008)
By the way, I use M2tech HiFace on my Mac to output my music to my DAC/CDP. Could that be the problem? Do I need to upgrade it to M2tech HiFace Evo?
Please read this article.... written by a Weiss engineer

http://www.designwsound.com/dwsblog/hifi-computer-faq/cas-5-cd-ripping-for-mac-itunes/

So I guess, the difference is not due to a "perfect" rip.... as the results from all his "ripping" methods are all identical.

The problem is else where.... here are some Q&A

"(2) Okay, if things are such simple and perfect, every digital source should has the same sounding?

Things are more complex than this

(5) How can this timing information create?

Another name of this timing information is called “Clock signal’. In most digital devices, crystals are installed to generate this timing (clock) signal. A better crystal can provide more accurate timing information. However, we must be careful that the accuracy of crystal does not show the whole picture. The problem most of the time lies on other areas such as power supply, temperature, clock signal path etc.

(8) Does transport mechanism vibration, power supply affect the jitter performance? If they do, then computer must not be a good thing for audio playback.

Yes they can affect the jitter performance"...

So.... I guess ripping is not the issue.... It's the quality of every component in the signal path, from power supply, transport mechanism vibration (I guess this is why burmester 060 uses a modified belt drvie CD system), quality of jitter removal, and etc...

So... even with a perfect rip.... I believe a high quality hi end CD player will still sound better.... since computers has too many internal noise and jitter. "there are too many variables to determine how much jitter is created within a computer".... I guess even with a good DAC, it can not completely remove jitter.
Wayneker2176,

Daniel Weiss makes exceptional digital kit. He also makes the MAN202 a network transport. Since you seem to be caught up in spending $50,000 on a CD player I would have a listen to his more modest but still very expensive approach.

In the price range you are discussing there are a few manufacturers to look at, but I still say for all out assault, a modified computer with every aspect looked at will do all you need and cost peanuts. This is why it is the END of DAYS for the high end CD player. I would not go back personally.

There are guys modifying Mac minis which seem to be the best Mac option for audio playback. Use FW into a mega DAC. After all most of the music recorded today is recorded and mastered on these same computers...