The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Dmurfet asked:

"I have still yet to hear a sax that sounds as *breathy* as in real life with a sax right in front of you..... anyone heard different?"

The best sax I've heard... "breathy" and very real sounding has come from my Apogees in my room playing one of my "Houston Person" CD's. I think trombone (Steve Turre) 20bit Telarc recording I have is the best "bite" I've heard from that instruments reproduction by a pair of speakers... The trombone can also be somewhat "breathy" at times.

Dave
sogood - that would be easier to check - I have a trombone - I used to play in a "Brass band'oop Noorth" when I was younger. I'm in the UK - you might not get the accent!
Dmurfet

Drop by the Apogee speaker users forum, we have members in the UK that will be more than happy to let you do just that. We have members all over Europe with many Apogee models for that matter. BTW, A pair of one of the best ever Apogees (Scintilla) is on Ebay/Europe as I type...they look to be in great shape!

Dave
Duane,

I don't give two hoots what you think of Klipsch Cornwalls. I just know I like them. Go stuff your head in your favorite speaker and don't knock my mine.

Larry