Best sounding DAC with a Rega Apollo

Need some input from Rega Apollo owners who use a DAC with this player. I have owned the Apollo for over two years, and like it alot, except for the clumsy top loading feature.... And, it is a also tad bright. Considered the musical Fidelity V-DAC,and their more expensive M-1 DAC

Recommedations for this DAC/player interface don't have to be the most expensive, just the best sounding with the best synergy. I am switching out Apollo IC's to a Chord Company Chameleon Plus which comes highly recommeded. I also switched out the Apollo's standard PC to Shunyata Diamondback PC several months ago from Music Direct on a closeout. It's OK; but I have been recommended the Acoustic Zen Tsumai Plus PC

The Apollo is hooked into a Bel Canto PRe3 pre-amp which is hooked to Red Dragon digital mono blocks driving Acoustic Zen Adagios with AZ's Hologram 2 speaker cable

BTW I know nothing about digital cabling or Toslink, etc, etc so will need some help there also Thank you, Jim
sunnyjim
Rega and Bel Canto dealer here*********

I would suggest that you take a listen to the Rega DAC. Matches up quite well with the Apollo.

Also, since you are familiar with Bel Canto, I would also suggest the DAC1.5 (or if you want to spend a little more $$, then the DAC2.5).

Good luck!!

Taylor
Goldprint Audio
The DAC inside the Rega Apollo is pretty good. I also use a Beresford DAC/ Headphone Amp with the Rega Apollo and prefer how the Apollo sounds by itself.

Rich
I have a Rega Apollo and just added the Audio Research DAC7. Adding the DAC7 to my system was significant. I don't know if the Apollo is that bad or the DAC7 is that good, but the soundstage, low end, and any other audiophile term you would like to throw in has been improved. I want to compare my Apollo to a dedicated transport to see if I can hear any differences. I will let you know.
Hi Ricred,

Just curious ... what made you add a $3500 DAC to a $1000 cd player? For those dollars, I would expect a significant change ... but do you feel you now have the equivalent of a $5k unit

Thanks,

Rich