DAC/Pre's Digital attenuation vs. analog

Hello

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a W4S DAC2 and use the digital preamp, or to get the DAC1 with a separate component preamp (such as a Bryston BP25). I don't care all that much about the cost; just performance.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of going either way?

(I'm also considering a Benchmark HDR or USB).
robertsong
04-26-12: Ivan_nosnibor
Hi Robert, whether going digital or analog with attenuation it's all really about the impedance matching.
please explain this statement as I do not understand how digital attenuation & impedance matching of source & power amp are related. Sources are usually very low output impedances digital attenuation or not.

So, a 32-bit player can offer 16 db of digital attenuation before reaching the 16-bit level,....
how did you come up with these numbers of 16dB of attenuation using a 32-b D/A?? Can you share your calculations? Thanks.
I think it's very wrong but it would be good to see your calculations before saying more.
Right now my CDP has a 24-b D/A that provides 50dB of total attenuation where at 50dB of attenuation you get zero output volume. So, how did your 32-b D/A provide only 16dB of attenuation?
Edorr - what kind of digital volume control do you use?

Is it a slider in itunes or Pure Music etc? Do you do any gain control in the DAC?

The devil is in the details.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
I use a PC with JRiver 17 (tried to get the JPlay plugin to work - no joy). From what I gather, playing in any WASAPI / ASIO mode the slider does not work.

I control volume digitally in the Trinnov 4 channel processor

http://www.trinnov.com/products/pro-audio/st2-pro/?lang=en_us

This processor sits before my PS audio DAC. I run the dac at 100. I am actually thinking of recalibrating my system, running the PS audio at 80, and doing less digital attenuation in the Trinnov.

By the way, does your DAC have remote volume control? I may decide to give it a whirl, but no remote control would be a dealbreaker.
Edorr...

I agree, you may get a slightly better results throwing an expensive tube preamp in the mix, but why? Why add that expense, another power cord and IC - why add the additional box?

The volume control on the DAC-2 is good enough for anyone EXCEPT a tech engineer who likes to read books and specs instead of actually sitting down and listening to music.

I am so tired of seeing all this tech talk about what will sound better... what... on paper it looks like it will sound better? How do you know it will sound better to person A, person B or person C, D, E, F..... ? Answer: YOU DON'T. Talk all the tech you want about volume control on DACs... I prefer to try it and determine MYSELF what sounds better.
Lots of technical talk (again), but my two cents.... buy the W4S DAC-2 (I owned one), it is a really nice piece for the money.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT ALL THIS DATA and SPECS and tech. discussions about digital volume!!!

And when I sold my DAC-2, I sold it for about $1,200. Not bad spending $1,500 for it, using it for a year or so, then getting back $1,200.