DAC/Pre's Digital attenuation vs. analog

Hello

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a W4S DAC2 and use the digital preamp, or to get the DAC1 with a separate component preamp (such as a Bryston BP25). I don't care all that much about the cost; just performance.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of going either way?

(I'm also considering a Benchmark HDR or USB).
robertsong
i have the ps audio separates (pwt and pwd).

the pwd has a digital volume control.

i prefer the sound using the digital vol control at 61 percent of max and using more gain on the preamp.

i think the digital volume control is inferior to the analog vol control on my passive and tibe preamps.
Edorr - The Overdive DAC has manual volume. It is more convenient to use an iPad anyway because you will need 2 remotes if the DAC has remove volume control, one for volume and one for music selection.

Does your Trinnov have digital in and digital out?

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve, the Trinnov has digital in/out. It also operates as a crossover. I use the Trinnov DAC for my subs, and the Trinnov digital out into my PS audio DAC.

I do lots of late night listening to music that don't need the subs, so I could play this music in 2.0 mode and use an analog volume control on the DAC if this is indeed better.

If I get your DAC but then have to control volume digitally on the Trinnov on the iPad (which is what I am doing now), I would not have the analog volume control benefit.
Audiofreak32: Why the W4S DAC-2 over the Benchmark HDR? I assume your choice is not based on the volume control. Is it just a personal preference? I've read several threads and it seems to be evenly split over which DAC people here prefer.

Which DAC did you upgrade to?
"If I get your DAC but then have to control volume digitally on the Trinnov on the iPad (which is what I am doing now), I would not have the analog volume control benefit."

Yes, you could still get the benefit if you adjust the digital volume on the Trinnov to max and then set the manual volume on the Overdrive to a good listening level with your quietest track. Then, when a louder track comes on, just reduce the digital volume on the Trinnov 2-9dB. This will not impact SQ at all. You still have remote control.

Steve N.