Metrum Octave versus Eastern Electric DAC

I own an Eastern Electric DAC, the older one with volume control, no mods. Have any of you in the community compared these two units? Would I be better off doing the op amp upgrade, buy the newest EE with upgrades?

I have enjoyed the EE and like it well enough, but I am curious about the Metrum. I would like slightly more warmth, more fullness, a little more meat and bones, without losing any of the detail I now enjoy.
mikirob
>>i find it hard to believe that a ss product can be superior to a tubed product with respect to the characteristic classic tube sound.

Mr Tennis, why this kind of comment? Stay happy with tubes (FWIW, I own/owned a lot of tube gear) but please refrain from adding non-contributing entries.

As for the comparison, I own a Metrum Octave and A/Bed this with an MiniMax from a friend and found the Octave more detailed and faster.
Mrtennis,

I used a 1950s Mullard Longplate in my Minimax, which was an excellent tube. Don't get me wrong the EE DACs were awesome--very competent, but I believe I prefer the Octave. It is a little tough to say due to the fact that I've had a lot of variables to my system change between the two dacs.

That said--discrete tube output or not, I think the sabre32 is intrinsically more analytical then most NOS offerings.
I assume you mean the Shuguang Psvane? Funny... I own that tube as well and disliked it compared to the Mullard. The Siemens Silverplate was also much better.
Gopher, nice system. I hope to move to either Shindo or Leben soon from my Cary 280v in my main rig.