Clock synchronization issue?

After a lot of experimentation lately I've come to the conclusion that there is a lower mid-range/upper bass frequency dip when using my Simaudio 650D with my Sooloos MC200. This dip doesn't occur with the other DACs I tried with the Sooloos nor does it occur on cd play through the 650D. My Sooloos dealer thinks it may be a clock synchro nation issue between the two units and is thinking that inserting some sort of re-clocking device between the two units may resolve the issue. Any thoughts or similar experiences you could share to help me out?

FYI, the Sooloos up samples the digital signal to 88.2 kHz and applies an apodising filter before outputting the digital signal. I'm not sure if the 650D also uses some sort of up sampling as well.
camb
Lloyd - To my knowledge, there is nothing off the shelf that will interface to Zanden I2S, however a S/PDIF reclocker like the Synchro-Mesh will reclock the Sooloos or other servers nicely.

S/PDIF done well is only slightly worse than I2S. My own I2S is only slightly better than my S/PDIF. In most systems with preamps, you would probably not hear a difference between S/PDIF and I2S.

It is however critically important that you use a GOOD 1.5m S/PDIF cable, such as the Ridge Street Audio Poiema. Differences in digital cables in the $50-$300 range are minimal IME. You must spend at least $500 to get a significant boost in performance.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve N.

thank you! Good to know...I have a 2nd hand Valhalla digital BNC cable...does this work for you?

Meanwhile, i may contact you about Synchro-Mesh (presume this is one of your products). Any chance for a reasonable sum, you could have it customized for i2s output to my Zanden?

Thank you!
Lloyd - I am not familiar with the Valhalla cable. Never heard anyone rave about it.

I2S output on the Synchro-Mesh may happen in the future (it will not be a mod), but it still may not be compatible with Zanden. Is it the Zanden I2S the same as Perpetual and Northstar using RJ-45 connector?

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Hi Steve N,

thank you...I was using Cardas Neutral Ref...was surprised to find i did not like the trial Transp Ref which i use in the rest of my system...and this one-off Valhalla 2nd hand was available and it worked much better...

In any event, the Zanden uses a computer cable linkup for its i2s...as i am told, one needs to know how they configured the link so it could be compatible with the source.
Lloyd - if the Zanden uses the "D" connector, it is likely not compatible with either the Perpetual/Northstar/Empirical/Stello I2S or the HDMI PSAudio/W4S/Empirical I2S.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio