The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
I just recently heard a pair of Apogee knock-offs from a Greek company called Analysis. The particular Analysis speaker I heard was called the Amphitryon, the largest in the line, and the most expensive at $20,000 pr. Jeff Wells, of Audible Arts, in San Jose, Ca. would be happy to share details on associated equipment. I currently own an amazing pair of Montana XP speakers that I felt I would probably keep for a long, long, time to come. The Analysis speakers absolutely "BLEW ME AWAY." They're sound was......."BREATHTAKING." Can't afford the Analysis, although I'm finding myself suddenly searching for a good pair of Apogee Divas.
Kkennymacc

" Can't afford the Analysis, although I'm finding myself suddenly searching for a good pair of Apogee Divas "

HeHe....I saw your wanted ad. You may want to drop a note on the Apogee speaker forum. We have members all over the world to help in your search...they also sometimes sell, as they move from one model to another.

There is (or will be soon?) a pair of Studio Grands, Scintilla, and Diva for sale in the United States if I recall correctly...all in top condition from what I recall reading.

Here is a link to our forum:

http://audioworld.com/cgi-bin/sw/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Apogee+Acoustics+Users+Group&number=1&DaysPrune=

Dave
Before you go head over heals over the Analysis Amphitryon (actually me thinks they're closer to $24k), listen to the new Apogee Synergy 1.5 (looks like the Scintilla, but very different in execution) when they come to these shores. Very expensive at $24k but priced similar to Amphitryon. The build quality seems to be on another level to the Analysis. The Synergys are actually smaller than the Amphitryon which are similar in size to the Diva, but weighs close to twice as much (close to 300 lbs each) due to extensive use of metal and much more powerful neodynium magnets. Alot more sensitive too at 95 dB than 86 dB for the Ananlysis. Some actually prefered the Scintilla over the larger Diva from what I recall. From what I read, the Synergy will play loud at 110+ dB and you only need 30 watts due to its high sensitivity. Original Apogee owners would kill for this.
This Apogee "Synergy" eulogy vs Analysis "Amphitryon" just caught my attention. It's intersting to compare published specs referred to above by Dracule

The Synergies spec 95dB "in 3000 c.ft room". Hence ~90 (?) single spkr anechoic. The Amphi etc specs 86 single anechoic so, say ~90-91dB accordingly. That's ~1/2 the sensitivity this far.

OTOH, Synergy rates impedance at 2.5ohm, rather tricky (but much better than the Scintilla); "you only need 30 watts/channel" yeah, and how many volts, and a hyper stabilised circuit:).

Amphi specs 4ohm which is even more benign for the average amp -- so, on the face of it much easier to drive.

Dracule tells us the Synergy hits 110dB spl (in room, both spkrs driven, I assume?). Similarly, the Amphi would require ~100W from a normal amp to reach 110dB spl (in room both spkrs... etc).

Synergy FR specs 20-25kHz (stereo?, in room, remember). Likewise the Amphi, but single anechoic. Both specs are elusive at best... i.e. how many dB down or up (unlikely) at 20? But at face value, the Amphi seems to spec better in room, both spkrs driven.

Basically, I've heard neither of the two (or if I have I don;t remember it). Just putting some thoughts on screen.