Ready to try vinyl

I would like to buy a turntable just to see what all the fuss is about. Since I remember the pops and scratches all too well, I do not want to spend alot just to satisfy my curiosity. I want a turntable that is capable of giving me a "taste" of what the vinyl sound is all about without going overboard. I can always upgrade if I like what I hear. I would also like to avoid deciding against vinyl because the turntable was not capable of capturing at least the basics. What turntables should I be looking at and how much should I spend? I would prefer to buy used due to the experimental nature of this adventure. Current gear is Sunfire processor with phono input, a pair of Classe M 701's, and B&W 800N. I am relying on your responses since I don't know squat. Thanks for your help.
baffled
OK then, your comments are based on specification posted by Technics, builder of the SP10 MK3.

If that number is correct, perhaps speed accuracy is not as important as it seems.

Or perhaps the whole turntable and arm package is more important than just speed accuracy, assuming Technics has stated speed accuracy properly.

Many pieces of equipment that are excellent on paper do not necessarily sound excellent . For instance, Technics also builds some integrated amplifiers that have amazingly low distortion specification but sound pretty dismal against tube based amps from Atma-Sphere, VTL or Audio Research, all of which have higher distortion numbers.

I have owned several direct drive tables and auditioned the Technics hundreds of times when I sold them. I was never impressed enough with their performance to consider them for state of the art playback. Of course I was going by sound, not the specification sheet.
Hi Albert: I think that I can't explain me or you loose my point:

+++++ " " A Walker DD system beats a Walker belt drive system .. " +++++

That's all.

I'm not a fanatic of the " numbers ", I only take care about where they are critical and in a TT that number is critical and ( EVERYTHING THE SAME ) push the balance in favor of the TT with the best number. Simple as that.

Albert, you post:

+++++ " Many pieces of equipment that are excellent on paper do not necessarily sound excellent. " ++++++

and I agree with that, but I insist: that's is not the point. Sorry.

I don't want to open the door for a direct comparison between the Walker an a SP 10MK3/MK2 up-graded. But we can do it, if you want.

I have two plinths/frame for my Denon's/Technics, one from solid green marble ( 40+kg ) and one from solid natural onyx ( same weight ), btw: beautiful frames.. I have a neumatic suspension footers for those plinths. The plinth function not only like the frame TT but it is the arm board too. I can mount any of my SAECs tonearms or I can do and additional hole for other tonearm. I have a vacuum hold down platter mat for the Technics TT. You have a KRSP and I have another one. Maybe some one that is reading this thread can borrow us a SP 10 MK3, but if not the SP 10 MK2 is ok.

Albert tell me how, when and where do you want to do it.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Certainly I'm up for it, I like tests.

Your welcome to fly here and bring whatever equipment you wish. I have a nice high end system to do the audition and a support group of audiophiles to help us physically move things.

If you don't like my equipment, one of my members must have a speaker you approve of, including Vandy 5's, Kharma Exquisite 1D-E, Wilson Maxx, Wilson Watt 6, Sound lab A-1, Sound Lab A-3, Magneplanar 20's, Magneplanar 3.6, Aerial 10B, and from the "do it yourself" crowd, multiple horn systems powered with SET amps.

How far away are you?
my humble take on this is that in fact speed accuracy IS INDISPUTABLY as important as it "seems," and the issue at hand is not the table/arm/cartridge combination, but the table ONLY, and it's one and only function, which is to maintain as stable a speed as is possible to reproduce the time domain of the LP. to compare this to specifications of amplifiers is comparing apples to horse apples IMHO. the key is IMPLEMENTATION (as in all things), and the walker had better be optimized in this respect to justify it's price. to hear a properly implemented/optimized technics, lenco or garrard with the same arm and cartridge would be preferred, and i guess that's where things are going. this is getting exciting!

i would add that jean's lenco thread did not require endorsement by anyone, it has stood on it's own merits and by his (significant and ongoing) efforts since day one. not trying to be overly contentious, but that needed to be said. credit where credit is due.