A simple question from the new guy ....

I have never listened to vinyl played with good gear. Are the pops and hiss still there when played on a good system? How about on a brand new record.....still there? I am constantly tempted to give vinyl a try, but I know the pops would drive me nuts if it is anything like I remember from long ago.
baffled
OK, I am convinced there may be more to vinyl than pops and surface noise. Gotta see what the fuss is all about. I recently learned of two good stores in the area. I think I will pay them a visit this weekend. Thanks to all!
I like to think I can give a balanced view on this one, insofar as I'm not a vinyl fanatic, but I owned a decent TT not so long ago (Rega P25), and have heard better still.

I got out of vinyl, not because I didn't appreciate its virtues (I did), but because I could stop buying cheap used records at a rate far beyond what I could ever hope to listen to, or conveniently store. I'm afraid cold turkey was the only cure for me...

All of the comments above about record cleanliness and variable quality and condition are perfectly apt.

That said, broadly speaking, a better playback system minimizes the impact of noise in the record; it tends to recede deep into the background, while sweet music comes to the fore...Good luck and be careful out there...
Look (or in this case Listen) before you leap. There are some Audiogon folk who vehemently deny that any significant LP surface noise exists, and there are others, like me, who find that surface noise, to use your words, "drives me nuts". The only useful information to be gained by reading postings on this subject is the cost of the kind of playback equipment that the "no noise" faction uses and recommends, and the degree of skill and care which they employ to achieve optimum results.

You really need to listen to two different LP playback systems. One that you can afford, to decide whether you want to follow this path. One cost-no-object LP playback system, in case you win the lottery.

Digital audio is like a fun date. Vinyl audio is like getting married. It can be very rewarding, but be sure you know what you are getting in to!
Here's the deal:

The trade-off is simply absolute dead silence with compressed dynamics, or a tiny bit of surface noise and the occasional static "sizzle" (if you will) with wide-open dynamics. Serious pops and what-not were most likely due to the owner not properly caring for the LP. If you have a clean, static-free record, you will hear some amazing stuff.

The way I finally came to the conclusion that analogue was far superior to digital, even though it was apparent I was hearing better sound with the vinyl from the get-go, was to play my vinyl copy of Michael Hedges' "Live on the Double Planet" and the CD version simultaneously.

The digital source was a DPA Renaissance CD player running through a DPA Bigger Bit DAC. The analogue source was a Nottingham Analogue Studio Horizon with a Rega RB300 arm and Grado Platinum Sonata cart. running through a Musical Fidelity X-LPS phono pre.

Then I just went back and forth, between the two, with the remote. It was a revelation - seriously. When you realize that what you thought was so special about a dead silent background (I would imagine tape and vinyl were cast aside so quickly because of this simple reason), compared to the incredible sound stage and overall resolution of vinyl, you want to kick yourself many, many times.

Cheers - have fun and good listening.
They are there but not like you probably remember. I don't notice them unless I pay attention. Vinyl sounds so much better than ALL digital that we are willing to put up with the pops and inconveniences that go along with. We wouldn't tolerate it if it wasn't worth it. Once I got vinyl going my CD, SACD player took a back seat.

But if you can't handle the pops and noises then it may not be for you. I would prefer that to the digital edge and coldness in comparison to the "real", layered and somewhat warm sound of true analog.