Great bass from a linear tracking arm?

Is great bass and full, rich, mid-bass/upper-bass 'presence' possible from a linear tracking arm?

Is one brand better than the others in this regard:
Airtangent, Kuzma, Walker, ET, Cartridgeman, Forsell, Rockport, etc.?

Is it all just a matter of cartridge selection?
I'm told that an ultra-light cartridge in combination with a light linear tracking arm will produce the best bass.
exlibris
Yes I put the bass issue down to the low pressure pump used and I agree it should come with a better pump. However that is an engineering issue not a setup issue as the arm was set up perfectly as supplied. I am gratified to hear that it does make an improvement however. I am interested in the kuzma as it appears to be a high pressure design. Anyone compared them in the same setup? What pump did these guys use? Were there any other mods?
As the Kuzma arm moves across a disc the downforce "slightly" changes.This was reported by JV in TAS.That IS a BIG issue,and should be considered a design flaw.
As to the issue of a better pump for the A.T.I believe many amps/pre-amps are bettered with "better" NOS tubes.It's all part of the "hobby",I guess.I'm not complaining though.
Sorry about my keyboarding.I am a novice at this,so you'll have to bear with me.

Best!
Kuzma's air bearing is specifically designed to work under high pressure but the Air Tangent's isn't. I wonder how well the AT would physically hold up under high pressure over the long haul?
Well as to the A.T. holding up under high pressure,in the long haul,both of my friend's had this exact compressor combo going for about ten years(I don't know how high the pressure was,but I do know it was way more than the stock model).The only reason they sold the arm was that they were getting a bit "long in the tooth",and wanted a really convenient,non maintenance arm,so switched to a unipivot.Both arms had absolutely zero maintenance issues in the "about a decade" of usage.
BTW,one friend had the 11,500 dollar remote vta model,while the other had the bargain priced 8,500 dollar(that's a joke)manual vta arm.
Personally I love the Kuzma arm,and am only relating how much better the Air Tangent actually is,as opposed to the stock(and it's not bad at all) model with pump.
As a little back story,let me mention that both of these guys(fanatical LP collectors,I mean FANATICS)started out going through a lot of really good arms,but felt the linear design offered "real gains".So after living with some pivots(nice arms,but not the maxxed out A.T.)they switched to a modded ET-2 model,and started playing around with the pump/compressor issue.There were about six guys,in my little circle that went this route,so all mods were then done by committee(a great way to have "instant guinea pigs").
Eventually one went for the "amazing" auto setting(sitting in your seat,you can adjust vta,for every record,on a digital read out)11,500 dollar Air Tangent.Then friend #2 went for the Regular "cheapo"(-:) model for 8,500.BTW,both got sizeable discounts,as they knew industry folks.
Eventually,both started collaborating on how to improve on the bass,so the theorizing began.Ultimately friend #1(and get ready for this)started talking about the hobby to his dentist,who just happened to offer to sell him a HUGE used compressor,he no longer needed.Cheaply priced too!So we were off to the races.
This turned out to be a "windfall" upgrade( I have no clue what the model,or specs are).So my close(in distance and friendship)friend went scoping out the dentists in his neighborhood(seriously),to see if any had this unit coming up for sale.
Don't laugh!!!He found a guy in short order(we hobbyists are fanatics,afterall)and got the exact pump dirt cheap!
Here's where I,and a ton of other hobbyists come in,as we had heard ALL previous arms,cartridges,and pumps(a few,btw).The difference was absolutely amazing,and quite honestly this newfound analog accuracy really impacted how I listen to vinyl,as I have a multitude of very desireable LP's,which I obtained after hearing so many of these at my friend's home.Actually he was nice enough to sell me many of his doubles.Cheap(he's a great guy)!
He has almost every well reviewed LP in existance,and could easily buy a condo(seriously)if he sold his collection!His sound system is absolutely fantastic,and mega-fullrange,but not of the "latest must be greatest" variety,as he is not impacted by anything but two great ears.He comes from the update/mod to your taste school!
The compressor was located in the closet,of one of his "three" record rooms.It really was hysterically funny,to see this "motot boat sized" schtick,sandwitched betweeen three pillows,because of the start up noise(not really bad,actually).BUT the darn thing realy worked,yet is now SADLY gone.As is the Air Tangent.He simply felt that it literally hurt his hands to change the dessicant(his description,and I have no idea what that is)as he is getting on in years,and has been fanatical long enough.
So,now,when I read some of these threads,that are "way technical"(yet wonderful,and entertaining in the best way)I have to smile,as I have seen it ALL,so many times before,with this loveable crowd of "nuts",who merely tolerate me.Too much fun for only one lifetime!!
Best!
Yup, Mhmm, just listened to my ET again. FABULOUS BASS! I don't get it, I'm hearing beautiful, clean, tuneful bass from this arm. I know I shouldn't but I do. What gives? Can anybody help me get less bass and hear this tonearm correctly? Oh yeah, I know I'll hook up my tubes again!

Alright that was uncalled for, but seriously, I really don't understand the "lack of bass" that others talk about. I've had this arm for 12 years and I gotta say that I've heard A LOT of others in other megabuck systems and I really can't see the attraction to the pivoted arm other than simplicity. A used ETII properly maintained is an absolute bargain considering the prices of todays linears. Don't get me wrong Id LOVE a Kuzma airline, but I don't believe it offers good value over a used ET even to those looking for the ultimate. I wish that Bruce Thigpen would have continued making these gems and their upgrades.
In regards to the original post, I have had a couple of different cartridges on the ET and did notice a substantial difference when moving up to the Sumiko Celebration. For an elliptical stylus it seems to dig in deep and get the info out quickly and quietly. This cartridge is known to have a raised level of bass so this could lead to my happiness in the bass department but it also does the rest of the spectrum very well. An EXCELLENT buy and again, I'll thank Raul for this recommendation. I know if he heard it on a linear tracker, he'd start designing the best tonearm ever (smiling!).
Brizonbiovizier I suppose the Brinkmann could have been a bit out of alignment and I'm not saying it was horrible. On the contrary it was beautifull...when it sounded right! What I was trying to convey earlier is that it had a sound which I can relate to all of the pivoted arms I've ever heard. On all pivoted arms I've noticed increased amounts of inner groove distortion especially on the inner (last) track. I can play an LP at home that has mild wear towards the end of side and it is very listenable however when played back on a pivoted system (in this case it was a Brinkmann, another case VPI HRX/12.5/Benz LP) That last track was clearly unlistenable and would be embarrasing to playback in front of anybody. Actually before I took the LP to hear these tables, I didn't know it was slightly worn. I've heard this distortion more clearly on all of the pivoted arms period.
I don't claim to have golden ears or anything as such, as a matter of fact my right ear is very slightly muted and I wonder if this has made me more sensitive to some distortions. Anyway, regardless, I know what I'm hearing, and you know what your hearing and thats what important in the end isnt' it.
Cheers!