Turntables from 1-10: Personality 8.5 Beauty 12

This thread could be interesting for any components, but I write as I am thinking of adding a turntable to my system.

In the end, I might not use it very often, but I love the beauty of turntables, if only as a conversation piece for my missionary work with non audiophiles.

Obviously, I want it to sound very good too but I might get more pleasure per dollar per hour of usage with an unusually gorgeous turntable. I need to keep the budget to < $10,000 retail.

Could anyone recommend a particular VPI model? The HRX is obviously gorgeous, but I imagine the less expensive ones look great too and much of the same performance as their top of the line?

How about the Michell Gyrodec SE? Is it as gorgeous as it looks in pictures? Oracle?

Obviously the dowdy LP12 is out, as are the mdf Regas and others.....

Thanks for any ideas.
cwlondon
La Luce By SPJ will surpass your scale both in Beauty (12) and personality (performance-10). I also like the Clearaudio Master Ref series with Everest stand look. Higher end range of Transrotor TTs will also reach your target ratings.
For understated elegance you can't beat the Clearaudio Ambient. http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/ca_ambient.html
Slap a Rega on it and you're good to go for around 4K.
Oracle Delphi V, Avid Acutus, Micro Seiki 5000 or above, JC Verdier, Clearaudio Master Solution AMG or above, Transrotor, Thorens Reference (if you can find one), and many more.

I own a VPI. Like any American products, it's more form follows function and not much beauty to speak of.
I currently own a michell gyrodec se with a zxy airy 3 cartridge. It is a very good table (though i am not very experienced with the high end tables) and always garners comments when anyone sees it. The weights on the bottom of the platter add a little "unique" factor but some people may find it distracting. I am going to try a maplenoll and pass my gyro to my daughter. She is already calling her friend to come see it when i deliver it to her. (she is a 19 yr old vinyl addict). I would rate the table as a 7 out of 10
IMHO, the best looking turntable ever produced is the Gale GT2101. Second best looker is the Transcriptors Skeleton. The IMF and the Micro Seiki 1000 are both gorgeous, as well as the Oracle Delphi permutations. The Michells are close runners up.