Dynavector XV1s loading & phono

Hi.

For those of you that have owned the XV1s, just curious as to what phono stage you are using with yours (or have used) and what loading you are putting on it to make it sound great!

I have got a XV1s at the moment, but with the Cary PH301mkII tube phono stage, have never got it to sound great. I was using the XV1s on LP12/Valhalla/Ittok II/rignmat anniversary. The default loading for MC on the Cary is 680 ohms. I modified it to make it about 150 ohms which did make a substatial improvment, however, sound was still very dull, undynamic, muffled, very unexciting.

I have heard the TeKaitorua (next model down) on a Oracle/smeIv setup going thorough a very modest solidstage phono/integrated setup and that gave extraordinary results! Likewise with the Lyra Titan, used through a solid stage Lyra Connosieur phono stage was absolutely amazing. Some people have replaced their Titan's with the XV1s! I don't think I'm hearing anything close to what the XV1s is capable of at all.

I think it is something with my front end analogue setup as my CD playback sounds spectacular, WAY better than the XV1s/Cary combo in every way. Since I have blamed the Cary for the poor match with the XV1s, I have since replaced the unit with the Kondo M7 phono - but as this is just a standard phono stage, I have had to revert back to my very modest MM Linn K18II cartridge. The Linn/Kondo setup is better than the XV1s/Cary in every respect - probably equal to that of CD playback in my system. To use the XV1s with the M7, will require step up transformers.

Question is:
1) What sort of loading are you guys out there using with the XV1s and on what phono? Tube or solidstate?
2) Is my deck/arm/PS combo the main cause of the poor sound from the vinyl?
3) What stepup transformers would one recommmend to match with the M7 - there is obviously the Kondo SFz ... any other worthy contenders?

Thanks a lot for all you guys help.

Regards
David
linnmaster
Dear Thom: +++++ " we are making a connection, and this is what it's all about. " +++++

I agree with this because that's what I'm looking and that I already achieve but that I always will try to improve.

The difference between you/other people like you and me is that you are extremely tolerant ( distortions/noises/frequency shifts/etc ) with the sound reproduction and I don't.

When I attend to a classical concerto I'm very happy always and when some one ask me about the performance I speak of thw whole performance but I speak too of errors ( if were make it )in some small " stages " that I can't tolerate, unfortunately I can't do nothing about but I could make something about in the audio systems and certainly I do.

The difference too is that I prefer to be connected to the MUSIC with out distortion/noises and you prefer to stay connected with a lot of distortions and noises ( I hope this is not your dogma. ). The good news is that today you have several options to be connected ( enjoying it ) to the MUSIC with out those distortions and noises.

You know that I have a very high respect for you but this does not means that I can'T disagree with you and that I don't try to help any one that want/need help.

One question: two audio systems ( everything the same, not similar but the same and both extremely well set up. ) one with very low distortions/noises the other one with high distortions/noises: which one do you prefer? which one do you think has better quality sound reproduction? which one is truer to the recording? which one will be nearest to the live event?

Thom, nothing is perfect and different persons that looks for perfection could choose different approaches. I always looking for the perfect path to the MUSIC through my audio system and one way to be nearer to that path is lowering any kind of distortion/noise/frequency anomalies.

Maybe the time to come when you hear my system ( I already invited more than one time to do it and I make now again. Btw, everyone of you are welcome any time you can: seriously, it will be interesting for all of us ) you could understand my way of thinking.

Regards and enjoy the music.

Raul.
Jonathan,

You never fail to inject a voice of reason and perspective into any dialog you enter.

Thank you!
Thom @ Galibier
David

I have both a Linn/naim ARO/lingo and a VPI HRX. The HRX is better in every way to the Linn except for maybe some sweetness in the top end, as the HRX is more extended and that gives you the good and the bad.
The Linn is a luvely sounding TT, however you may want to upgrade the arm and definately the valhalla to a lingo or armageddon - whatever takes your fancy.
I believe that will get you closer in peformance to what you are expecting and it will support the XV-1 better as well.
Thom

You say you load the XV-1 at 1.87 gms.

Is that VTF when playing a 120gm or 200 gm record. As you know there will be a bit of a difference between the two.

Or do you take a medium like 150gm record??

I agree that tracking at 2.5gms to me does not sound better.

I have tracked at around 2 to 2.05 for some time, but may try a little lower, hence my question.

cheers Shane
Sir Speedy, Thom, thanks. IMO, an audiophile/music-lover is entitled to listen to anything that they like. But I also think that they should understand what they really have, both the cons/difficulties as well as the pros. In real life as well as on these forums, all too frequently I am left with the impression that a major reason why the audiophile is upgrading is because they are unable to extract the full performance of what they already own (or didn't put enough consideration into choosing the component to begin with). Greater understanding is the key to making better choices as well as extracting more performance, and if I can contribute to these goals, I will gladly post more (spare time permitting).

best, jonathan carr