Subwoofer: should we even use them at all?

Dear Community,

For years, I looked forward to purchasing a subwoofer. However, I recently became friends with someone in this field who is much more knowledgable than me. His system sounds amazing. He told me that subwoofers should be avoided because of the lack of coherence that inheres in adding a subwoofer. What do you guys think? I currently use Verity Parsifol Ovations.
elegal
I, too, dislike the idea of calling bass response "slow" and prefer the term underdamped. I also like the idea of multi-sub arrays and have experimented with variations on the theme pursuant to some great posts by Duke of Audiokinesis, so I agree with a lot of this post, but....

Spkrplus wrote:

A properly installed Distributed Array has no integration issues up to about 80 Hz because it solves the bass mode before it occurs. All other solutions are band aids attempting to fix the mode after the fact, including EQ, which can't solve the timing error.

If "no integration issues" means "no room integration issues", this is an overstatement. You won't remove room effects with four (or more) subs, but you can greatly reduce their impact on direct FR and power response with careful placement. As a side note: EQ fixes the problem before it occurs, too. Once EQ filters are set by room analysis, the subsequent electrical (music) signal is adjusted prior to reaching the driver. Tho the filters are calculated "after the fact", that does not a band-aid make. If you doubt that this approach works, simply do an RTA of the direct and power response in the room (I use white and pink noise) post EQ. The benefits in both graphs are obvious, tho usually more dramatic IME on FR than power response.

The difference in power response improvement is - to me - the primary conceptual benefit of an array vs EQ, but per my own measurements, I wouldn't personally describe that delta as dramatic. My own array experiment - admittedly not ideal, two Velodyne SPL 8s and two 12" Rythmiks optimized for power response - showed power response improvement over the dual Rythmiks, but not wildly different. In fact, the power response and FR performance of that array was clearly improved by the application of Audyssey, too.

Proviso - a different subwoofer array implementation might yield different results, but my attempt was reasonably diligent. Had I gotten more dramatic results, I'd likely own an Audiokinesis array right now. To be clear, I wouldn't bet against me buying one in the future, but I'll still use Audyssey with it.

As for long wavelengths reflecting off boundaries (2 bass players), this happens with distributed subwoofer arrays as well as single subs. As a technical matter, it happens more - reflections for each sub are inevitable (4 or more bass players). Careful placement of the subs relative to the walls can smooth the response anomalies caused by each of these reflections, but they're simply smoothed in aggregation, not removed.

It's also unclear what "timing error" EQ can't solve. If you're talking about decay characteristics of the room, I don't see how a sub array would be helpful there either.

As for in-wall woofer solutions, they do effectively address the issue of reflection off the wall behind them (this is generally the worst IME) but there are still side wall, floor and ceiling issues which are certainly not trivial.

To be clear, I'm not dissing the idea of subwoofer arrays. I actually think it's a great idea. I'm just pointing out that the particular benefits of an array are overstated in this post and the objections to EQ are also overstated. Of course, the bottom line is a listening session. IME, thirty seconds with Audyssey should be adequate to demonstrate the benefits to most people (simply disable it during play). That doesn't mean it's preferable to a well implemented array, it just means that it's a very effective solution for the bulk of the problem. The best practical solution that I know of is an array with Audyssey, but, if you really want to "fix" the issue, an anechoic chamber (or room that effectively behaves as one) is the only solution that I'm aware of.
Audyssey Pro Is far superior in endresult compared to XT32.
The authority is a lot better. You get a different kind of sound in comparison to XT32.

It goes deeper and you have a much better timing and integration.
Marty,

Thanks for the answer. Was wondering how is your signal chain configured? From server, do you go out through USB? Straight into the Onkyo? Then the Onkyo does the crossing over, the room correction, and where is the DAC performed?

I asked the miniDSP folks about suggestions involving Dirac Live and crossovers. One option they suggested was Dirac at the server and their nanoDIGI 2x8 for a crossover in the digital domain, but also a second DAC dedicated to the subwoofers. The additional DAC I'm trying to digest...I guess any timing differences between the different DACs used would be compensated by the room correction...still not easy to digest. And I also wonder about additional jitter in the chain.

What are your thoughts on this configuration?
So what is the conclusion?

The thread starter was warned against a sub due to "the lack of coherence that inheres in adding a subwoofer". I think this is system and room dependent. Bass has to be integrated anyway. There is no general rule that it is better inside a (costly) speaker than with (less costly) speakers and a sub, even if it often works out that way. So there is nothing bad that "inheres" in choosing a sub.
New techniques and faster subwoofers has given us a much higher level of integration than what was possible in the past.

I never thought that this would be possible. Now I know it is possible!