Soundsmith Strain Gage Cartridge system

Has anyone compared the Soundsmith Strain Gage Cartridge system to a top-of-the-line cartridge / phono stage combo in the same system (including the same arm and linestage)?
exlibris
I just received my Strain Gauge and I love it. After adjusting the VTA and the damping on my arm, I found the “sweet spot” for the line contact ruby stylus. I have never heard a more life-like image from any stereo system after installing the Strain Gauge. The sound is enveloping. I have the urge to jump into the sound stage and swim around with the music. Each instrument in the sound field breathes and sounds so natural. There is an ease about the music that allows you to relax and go with the music.
I believe that because the Strain Gauge does not use the RIAA curve, less phase distortion is present in the music, resulting in an effortless sound. I also believe because a moving coil or a moving magnet is not used in the system, the sound is less distorted. The way the Strain Gauge operates reminds me of the way a single-ended triode amplifier works. Like a single-ended triode amplifier, the highly doped silicon beams modulate the flow of current resulting in a voltage that follows the movement of the grooves with very low harmonic distortion.
It is rare that a theoretical advantage in audio actually yields a practical advantage. I believe that Peter has done it and the proof is in the pudding!

Sincerely,

John Pessetto
John,
What cartridge and phonostage were you using before you got the SG?
Do you run the SG system directly to your amps or into a linestage?
If you do go straight to the amps, what linestage had you been using?
Thank you.
Hi Exlibris,

I was using a Lyra Olympos moving coil cartridge (single coil), a custom-made Dave Slage (Intact Audio) step-up transformer, custom-wound wire-wound resistors (Intact Audio), an Artemis phono preamp PH1 and a custom-made Dave Slage (Intact Audio) autoformer volume control. Because I had enough voltage gain, I didn't need a line stage. With the SG system I don't need any of the previous equipment. The SG system drives my amps directly. I hope this helps.

John
John, any more thoughts now that you've spent some more time with the SoundSmith and the Strain Gauge???

O

o