Stand out phono stages

This topic has been started before by others and myself as well, maybe too many times, but it is worth revisiting since the source is so very important!
So far I have had the pleasure to enjoy two worthy phono stages: the EAR 834p and the JLTI.
I have to admit they are spectacular. Obviously the record and all the equipment downstream play a role in the sound heard. In some cases I prefer the JLTI and in other cases the EAR. But neither out do the other dramatically.
What phono preamps outshine others by a big margin, those that can be considered the last phono preamp ever needed.
pedrillo
My modified Essential 3160 is simply phenomenal in its new manifestation. It is the best I have heard although no longer available (at least to these specifications!). It now carries my unreserved recommendation among the S.O.T.A contenders.

I'll still try to keep abreast of other developments and hopefully be encouraged to try something else out at some date: probably in the far off, distant future.
"What about the Audio Research REF PH2SE"- Mbovaird

INHO, this is indeed one of the great ones. Night and day difference from my previous best, the Aesthetix Rhea.
I got the NVO PSA-One and couldn't be happier! Jeff Day has said it's the best he has ever heard in his own Blog and in his review of this unit in Positive Feedback. Try and have a listen yourself, there may be some very pricey used phono stages on Agon once heard!
Rsf507,

Does your NVO use step up transformers?
What kind of gain does it have?
What phono stage did it replace for you?
Have you ever compared it with the Herron?
What cartridge are you using?

Sorry for the 20 questions!
-No step-up transformers
-50/60 MM/MC roughly
-Parasound JC3 (really didn't like, noisy yes even though it was SS and very lean sounding..what was I thinking!!!!)
-No
-EMT

You have 15 more questions to reach your 20!