Turntable advise for an analog novice

Hi,
I've just started listening to vinyl again and I need some turntable advise. A few years ago, I purchased a Goldring GR1 with an RB250 arm which I paid around $250 for with an Goldring Electra cartridge. I'm really interested in upgrading but I'm not sure if it makes more sense to invest my money in a better cartridge and upgrade the tonearm wiring on my GR1 or buy a good used TT. My budget is about $1200 give or take.

Thx
andarilu
I disagree with Williwanka. If I had the worst system in the world, amy upgrade would be noticeable. The final sound out of the speakers is the sum total of the whole system.
Any of the above are probably good choices. IMO, it doesn't matter which you choose because you won't stay with the first table for long before you start upgrading either the entire table, or pieces here and there.

IMO, the KAB Technics SL12XX with one or two of the modifications will provide you with the longest lasting back-to-vinyl experience before you feel the need to spend more money. The KAB Technics also offers many very reasonably priced performance upgrades that can be added as time moves on (power supply, tonearm wiring, isolation...etc).

You also have the option of adding a Rega RB250 arm at some point if you are so inclined.
Andarilu - One last thought....

Having reasearched some of the RB250 upgrades that are available (e.g. rewire + Techno weight may cost around $600 on your existing RB250), I would opt for something like the Michell re-engineered RB250 which comes with...
- Silver wire + better interconnect & plugs
- Upgraded bearings
- vibration deadening foam
- Techno weight
- VTA Adjuster

If you order from the UK you can get it for around $700+duty

I ordered my Michell Techno-weight from Trichord Research - who were very responsive, but it took around 2 weeks to clear Canadian customs

Regards...
Williewonka,

Since my last posting, I decided to upgrade my cartidge as a first step. Whether I upgrade my table or not, I figured I'll need a new cartridge anyway. I borrowed an old Signet just to see if it really makes a difference. I was blown away by how much more detail I was able to hear. The bass seemed a little lacking but the overall improvement was significant.

I read some of the cartridge reviews and decided to go with Sumiko BP 2. I just ordered it from MusicDirect for $299 and I should be getting it in a few days.

I'm still on the fence about upgrading the tonearm but I did find a tecnoweight/incognito upgrade combo for $335 at http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=302.Adding VTA would be another $50. So even if I don't upgrade the table itself right now, I'll have a decent tonearm and cartridge I can reuse on my next table (whenever that might be).

Anyway, I'll let you know how the Sumiko works out.
Andarilu - if you are content with the GR1/RB250, then at least upgrade the Crappy Rega RCA's to Furutech - it really is worth it!

I get the Furutech FP126 for $20/pair - and now use them on all my cables - superb details for such a very reasonably priced connector.

The FP162 was only $10/pair - also better than the Rega

Just make sure you use good quality solder - this makes a huge difference at the Phono Stage

Furutechs will give you much more detail and better imaging than what you are getting with the standard Rega RCA's.

The Michell/Incognito upgrade you wrote about is a deal - except - it's a kit which means you'd have to install the wire yourself - not something I'd try - I no longer have a steady hand or good eyesight.

The Sumiko looks like a very good cartridge - I'm currently a MM guy myself, but looking to get into the MC market since I hear they provide lots more detail.

Let me know how it works out

Thanks