New Lampizator Level 4/ Version 4 DAC in the house

Wonder if any other new owners of this DAC are out there as I find it to be the finest digital playback I have heard to date. This is the first digital front end piece of gear I have owned that has transformed my music.

Ya, other digital gear does this or that better, but this Lampy breaks through to a new level of musical enjoyment. Clear view into the music helping the speakers just disappear. Only 24 hours of break in and the music flows so sweet, intimate and seemingly without boundaries.

Looking under the hood I see an impressive power supply with films caps and several high quality chokes. Point to point silver wired except for the digital and USB boards. This is a three tube player that is tube rectified. One has the option for SS rectification if desired.

Ya, I love this Lampy!
128x128grannyring
Bill, Tony is correct. Middleware. There is a little redundancy in your planned experiment although it would be interesting to hear the comparison. I am sure it can be arranged....:)

Tony have you heard the new Lessloss Laminar streamer? An audio buddy heard a prototype in California and was impressed. Lessloss thinking regarding digital has always made sense to me....
Andrew, I heard the Laminar streamer in it's infancy about 3 years ago at RMAF. It certainly has some promise, and I thought it sounded good going through a DAC 2004. However, I fear it will be grossly overpriced given the technology used. In fact at this point I am still not certain it is a finished product. I think they had one at the NY show recently and had it covered up.

I have been using a Lessloss DAC for 6 years now and find it is still hard to beat. Multi-bit DAC chips (alas nearly all are 1-bit now) and direct coupled at the output, as well as battery power on the output stage. It is well designed. Their concept of mating it with a CEC TL-51X in order to use the 256f clock output of the DAC to slave the CEC to it made a lot of sense.

With the Laminar they are taking the approach that the clock in the streamer is more important. Personally I think it's a marketing move as the DAC 2004 is no longer manufactured and they want sell streamers for use with any DAC. I believe there is also some debate about other aspects of the design and saw some comments Gordon Rankin made regarding the design approach.

In my current configuration my DAC is slaved to the clocks in the Audiophilleo USB converter that I use. While I think the sound is very good. I still wonder what I might gain if I can find a middleware solution that would allow me to slave it to the DAC. The solutions I have encountered so far use a PLL which is not necessarily optimal but gets the job done.

Keep an eye on SOtM. They were at CES and I heard their sever/DAC in the ESS Labs room. Very good and well built. I think over time they will be a leader in computer audio.
In looking over some things I find myself revisiting Gordon Rankin's Crimson and Cosecant USB DAC designs. Some nice work from one of the pioneers of computer audio.
Getting back to the subject of LampizatOr, I am not sure the buffer size used by the Squeezebox driven TranspOrt. Its never been an issue with a wired or even wireless connection in my experience, but I will do some digging in case people with latency issues in their home networks have questions.

In the meantime, perhaps starting another thread for miscellaneous topics is appropriate? There is some good information getting buried in the off topic conversation.
I am not sure the buffer size used by the Squeezebox driven TranspOrt. Its never been an issue with a wired or even wireless connection in my experience, but I will do some digging in case people with latency issues in their home networks have questions.
It's a performance issue and not just latency. All computer buffers to enhance performance.

Bryston BDP, Audirvana, JRiver ... they all buffers at least 1st track before play. If you ask Lukasz about buffering he will understand. I'm interested how much his transport buffers before play.