vintage turntables?

i dont know, but vintage technics, jvc, and pioneer are the only decks ive had experience with, but they have a special appeal to me. it seems to me that theres all these super fancy turntables out there, and im sure they sound really great, but things like funk firm, the pro-ject rpm aren't the same to me. they're not what i picture a turntable to be. anyone else out there feel the same way? i think what it comes down to is the look. maybe i'm just crazy, i dont know. haha
128x128chuckelator
i think i know who your talking about acutually...hes right off the avenue in hamden right? i have his business card in my wallet, haha.
Denon DP-500M. It's solidly aimed at the home market and the mktg lit sez it's been engineered to minimize internal vibrations. They also have an upscale model, the DP1300 Mk2 not officially imported to the US (but available via audiocubes2.com) that runs about $1800.

If I were going to buy and not mess around, I'd probably get the Denon DP500M, but to extract more performance, I'd get a Technics SL12x0 and have KAB put on the fluid damper and tonearm rewire at the least, and probably go for the outboard PSU, threaded clamp, and some serious feet as well.

The feet could be the KAB-available Isonoe footers 'n' boots, or some Mapleshade threaded Brass Heavyfeet. They're about the same price. If you go with brass cones, platform the TT onto a thick butcher block cutting board or 2-4" slab of maple supported by Isoblocks or Vibrapods.

My personal rig is an SL1210 M5G with fluid damper, aftermarket mat, KAB rubber record grip, threaded brass feet (not Mapleshades but only cuz I'm cheap), a butcherblock cutting board, and Vibrapod feet underneath it all. I use a Denon DL-160 HOMC mounted to a Sumiko headshell adjusted for azimuth and am really pleased with this rig at a mid-rez level (Amber electronics driving Mirage speakers).
Ive seen a few of the denon's here on the gon and on ebay...i really like the look of them actually..and ive heard nothing but good things about them, i would definately like to check them out.
C: That's the MAN. Eric has such skill and knowledge besides being fair and honorable. He and his family are a real slice of ye 'ol balmer much like the folks i knew as a kid growing up near Govens . Right now he's working on SA-100 and an Advent. And, he gives you a hands-on free estimate.