Porter Ports or Cabledyne Cryo Hubbell 5362

Just as I was about to purchase 3 Porter Ports yesterday, a friend of mine drew my attention to a new offering on the market, cryoed HBL 5362 by Cabledyne (www.cabledyne.com). Price wise there is considerable difference (as it appears to me): Porter Ports sell of $36 ea. + $12 shipping (for up to 3 units) against $25 each with free US shipping currently being offered by Cabledyne. My heart says Porter Port, but my mind -possibly biased by my friend - says Cabledyne.
Would greatly appreciate the advice from and personal experience/comparison from fellow audiogoners.
thank you in advance.
lall
Results: my shootout is almost complete with 5 different outlets (a pair of duplexes tested in each case)
- Hubbell 5362 Cryo (from Cabledyne)
- Porter Ports
- Hubbell 8300 (non cryo)
- FIM 880 Gold
- Legrand
Am in process of writing the detailed findings. Will post them within a day or two.
Great! I noticed that Cabledyne is also doing the burn-in as well as the cryo on the 5362.
Details of my shootout and findings:

System Used:
- CD player – Audio Aero Capitole Ref SE
- Preamp – de Havilland Mercury 2
- Power Amp – KR Audio VT 8000 monos (push pull using GE 6550A tubes)
- Speakers – Kharma 1.2 CRM with Revelator tweeters
- Power cords: A pair of Kharma Grand Ref (on CD and Preamp) and a pair of
Harmonix Studio Master (on mono amps)
- Interconnects – CD to Preamp: JPS Labs Superconductor 3
Preamp to amps: various (JPS Labs Superconductor 3; Fusion
Audio Romance IC2 & Harmonix Golden Performance SUS)
- Speaker cables – Jorma UNITY & Cardas Golden Hexlink 5C

- Dedicated Audio Room 16 ft x 24 ft; sloping ceiling height 8ft to 20ft

- 3 Dedicated power lines each connected to a duplex receptacle.

- Walls are in concrete with some room treatments. Fully carpeted room.

- Caveat: my room is quite lively; my Kharmas are known to be bright, hence I consider my system to be more bright than neutral.

- All outlets were burnt in for at least 15 days immediately prior to the tests.

- Music played during the tests: Diana Krall; Alison Krauss (Jacobs’ dream); Vivaldi (four seasons "Winter" by Iona Brown); Eric Satie (solo pianos); Nils Lofgren (Acoustic Live); Carmen sings for Kharma; Naim CD sampler; Kenny G (saxophone); and various other classical albums.

Prior to the shootout, I was using a separate FIM Gold 880 duplex receptacle to power each mono amp; and a Legrand duplex outlet for my CD and Preamp.

The shootout comprised four different sets of tests:

Test 1: I successively replaced the two FIM Gold outlets by the test receptacles [Porter Ports, Cabledyne Cryoed Hubbell 5362; Hubbell 8300 (non cryo)] while keeping the source equipments plugged into the Legrand outlet

Test 2: Same as Test 1 with the only change being the source equipments now connected to a third Cabledyne Cryoed Hubbell 5362 duplex outlet.

Test 3: Same as Test 1 except that the Legrand outlet was replaced by a FIM Gold 880 outlet.

Test 4: Same as Test 1 except that the Legrand outlet was replaced by a Hubbell 8300 outlet.

RESULTS & OVERALL FINDINGS

FIM GOLD – Big and powerful bass, but soft rounded up sound and somewhat bloated bass and at times lacking liveliness and dynamism especially in large orchestral swings and female vocals.

PORTER PORTS – Clean and powerful extended treble and generally very good on vocals and piano. A tad thin but I noticed its aggressivity and glare on a number of tracks especially classicals. Nearly bled my ears out during Vivaldi’s Four seasons violin track performed by Iona Brown and at high volumes.

CABLEDYNE HUBBELL 5362 (Cryo) – Good overall outlet, with powerful solid and generally tight bass, with a sweet top end. Non fatiguing, natural sounding and very listenable during extended periods of time and high volumes. On some tracks, the bass was a bit bloated and lacked some liveliness compared to the Porter Ports.

HUBBELL 8300 (non cryo but all copper version old stock item) – Surprisingly good outlet at times very close to Porter Ports and at other times closer to the Cabledyne 5362. Good bass and treble, non fatiguing, less aggressive than Porter Ports (on same tracks) but definitely without the sweet top end of the Cabledyne 5362.

LEGRAND – Very lively but also with considerable glare hence considered as being bright in my system. When replaced by the FIM Gold on my source equipments (CD & Preamp), the sound became too laid back and flat and not enjoyable at all. When replaced by Porter Ports and Cabledyne, and Hubbell 8300, my system got back a good portion of the liveliness but without the glare. This outlet may do wonders in awakening a dull system.

In conclusion, in my system and room acoustics, I found the Cabledyne 5362 outlets to be a considerably better match for taste than the other outlets used. My system is now completely wired through these three Cabledyne outlets. I like the honest sound, not overemphasized bass or treble, sweet top end and also its ability to remove glare from my system. Is the Cabledyne the ultimate or perfect outlet for my system? Certainly not as at times I would have preferred a tighter bass on some tracks but at the end of the day I really liked the sweet top end it added to my listening.

The Hubbell 8300s (non cryo – all copper version) deserve a special mention and I could have easily lived with them. Considering the price I paid ($2.50 each on ebay), this should be one of my best ever purchases. I will therefore use these two outlets in my second system.

The Porter Ports are a good honest outlet which may probably outperform the other outlets in a less brighter system and for those looking for a neutral sound.

My overall ranking based on the above tests are as follows:-
1. Cabledyne Cryoed Hubbell 5362
2. Hubbell 8300 (non cryo) – old stock all copper version
3. Porter Ports
4. Legrand
5. FIM Gold 880

I wish to stress that the above findings & conclusions are the results of my own, independent, unbiased, honest and personal tests in my specific system at my home place. I have absolutely no connections whatsoever with any of the above tested products or their manufacturers/marketers.

Thank you
Lall: Great review, far more complete than mine. Thanks for your efforts.

I also found the Leviton isolated ground outlet (brass contacts) to sound fairly good but the Hubbell HBL5362 (Cabledyne Cryoed) is still tops in my system. The Hubbell 8300 nickel plate was horrific in the highs!
Hi Lall:

Thanks for that. A lot of work, as I well know. Not a lot of surprises there for me but perhaps one. I can see the P&S Legrand and the FIM finishing where they did as they are such very different receptacles, almost polar opposites I think; you definitely cannot describe either one as being anything close to neutral!

I don't know much about the Cabledynes (but have a lot of experience with cryoed HBL 5362's) but if they were broken in by the manufacturer before shipping on something like the Audiodharma cable cooker, this would have a pretty big effect on things-my thought is that the Porter Ports, if they were brand new, still might need another week or two of break in.

The old Hubbell 8300H is a very good receptacle (and one that Albert used to use for the Porter Ports). I'm curious: do the Porter Ports have a strong physical resemblance to the 8300H (non-cryo) that you have there?

Do they have the same physical dimensions (ie. substantially shallower than the Cabledyne 5362) as the old stock 8300H's you have and do the current Porter Ports have the same brass (gold coloured) backstrap as the old stock 8300H's that you used or do they appear to have a (silver) steel backstrap?