matching tt to music

The other day I started a post about bad sounding classic rock lps. It suddenly occured to me, that I had enjoyed them some months ago with a different tt setup.

On my current VPI setup these lps sound lousy. In my previous setup, totally modded Thorens TD 160, Pete Riggle modded Rega RB250 with Incognito wiring, Sumiko Blue Point Special and/or Dynavector 20XL, Cayin Phono-One preamp these sounded relatively musical.

I listened almost exclusively to the very classic rock lps I now complain so much about. I was happy enough with the sound I didn't play digital once in perhaps a month.

I installed the Thorens back in the system yesterday, and voila, these recordings again sound like I recall from the previous listening, I enjoy listening to classic rock recordings again.

I conclude you need the right tool for the job. The VPI is simply too detailed for these albums, it illuminates all the warts (especially with the Valhalla tonearm wire). The Thorens is just veiled enough to hide most of those warts. The Thorens also has a fuller tonal balance, ie. sounds
more musical with these albums.

At this point, I'm planning a dual tt setup, the VPI for the quality recordings, the Thorens for the crappers. The only problem is, I will need a new cartridge for the Thorens/Rega setup. I will need to use a MM cartridge, which will allow both setups to be used together (VPI uses the MC input on Cayin, Thorens will use MM input). At this point I'm looking at purchasing either a Shure V15 III or VHR, AT 150MLX, Grado Gold or Silver, Pickering XVS, or Ortofon 2M Bronze. Any suggestions on which of these (or another) that will work well with this combination? I'm looking for a fuller tonal balance, want something on the warm side, but don't want bloated bass.
sns
The 10x5 sounds warm and full on its own, without any transformers or whatever between it and the first amplification stage. I listened to it on a Roksan Xerxes with a Rega 250 or 300 and IIRC a Kora phonostage.
What I like about the XX2 as compared to the Benz Micro Ace is that the XX2 retains the warmth of the Benz while improving midrange and treble clarity, and overall balance.

From what I have read, the Dynavector line-up retains a house sound, so I would imagine the 10X5 is warm as Tobias says.

I certainly prefer it to a ZYX R100 Yatra I owned earlier this year that sounded cold in comparison (but quite detailed and neutral).
Tobias, I almost pulled the trigger on the same Scheu tt and tonearm you own at an audio show a few months ago. Even had a home demo setup with the dealer, PrimeOne Media out of Canton Mi. Ended up with the VPI setup because I ran into an opportuntiy to purchase the whole VPI line at a substantial discount on a continuing basis.

Tvad, that's what I keep on hearing about the Dynavector line, the 20XL certainly seems to be a well balanced cartridge, lots of strengths, no glaring downsides.

I've also had a number of recommendations for the Shure V15 III and above. I did have a V15 II on this tt when I first purchased it. Sold it before I had a chance to hear it post Thorens mods and Rega arm. When I initially heard it on stock table with stock arm I preferred the Sumiko Blue Point Special. The Shure wasn't as detailed, just kind of boring sounding to me.
If I understand you correctly, you bought the "wrong" turntable. Why not go back to your older setup? I doubt sticking a different cartridge on the VPI will really get you to where you want to be. You're not trying to match the turntable to the music, which is a false assumption to begin with (IMO), but to mask the inherent sound character of the turntable.
I find Onhwy61's observation rather interesting. The last VPI I listened hard to was in the Soundsmith room at the Montreal show in April. Don't know the VPI model, I presumed it was the full Monty since Soundsmith is a dealer, and the TT had a Schroeder Reference and the really remarkable Soundsmith Strain Gauge cart.

That arm, BTW, should sound like no arm at all, given my very limited but joyful experience with the Schroeder Model 2.

Anyway, there was a Beatles reissue playing as I came in, an older number, one of the ones I danced to when I was 13. I remember thinking, Gee, you can hear everything... but I didn't want to dance and on that song, I should have wanted to dance IMVHO.

I don't know what it was in that setup which kept things cool. I would want to listen to other VPIs to see if it wasn't the TT.