matching tt to music

The other day I started a post about bad sounding classic rock lps. It suddenly occured to me, that I had enjoyed them some months ago with a different tt setup.

On my current VPI setup these lps sound lousy. In my previous setup, totally modded Thorens TD 160, Pete Riggle modded Rega RB250 with Incognito wiring, Sumiko Blue Point Special and/or Dynavector 20XL, Cayin Phono-One preamp these sounded relatively musical.

I listened almost exclusively to the very classic rock lps I now complain so much about. I was happy enough with the sound I didn't play digital once in perhaps a month.

I installed the Thorens back in the system yesterday, and voila, these recordings again sound like I recall from the previous listening, I enjoy listening to classic rock recordings again.

I conclude you need the right tool for the job. The VPI is simply too detailed for these albums, it illuminates all the warts (especially with the Valhalla tonearm wire). The Thorens is just veiled enough to hide most of those warts. The Thorens also has a fuller tonal balance, ie. sounds
more musical with these albums.

At this point, I'm planning a dual tt setup, the VPI for the quality recordings, the Thorens for the crappers. The only problem is, I will need a new cartridge for the Thorens/Rega setup. I will need to use a MM cartridge, which will allow both setups to be used together (VPI uses the MC input on Cayin, Thorens will use MM input). At this point I'm looking at purchasing either a Shure V15 III or VHR, AT 150MLX, Grado Gold or Silver, Pickering XVS, or Ortofon 2M Bronze. Any suggestions on which of these (or another) that will work well with this combination? I'm looking for a fuller tonal balance, want something on the warm side, but don't want bloated bass.
sns
The Shure is not impressive to me. It is dull and lifeless, tracks well, but has a fragile stylus which disentegrates into powder...I have seen this twice. The Ortofon Black and the Audio Technica 150 have good things said about them. Jallen
Jallen, this is my exact experience with a Shure V15 II. I've heard the later models are better. I've also received advice from a couple of other Thorens owners with similar problems, to use a highly colored, ie. plenty of technicolor and warmth, cartridge. Both didn't tell me which cartridge they use, duh... Hoping to get that information.
Here's an invaluable tool (IMO)...the MintLP Best Tractor protractor.

After having set up my XX2 MK2 cart with this protractor, I can say without question my analog system sounds the best it ever has. Completely free of tizz and high end distortion, including inner groove distortion. Heck, I wonder if the AT150MLX I sold would have been free of its high frequency distortion if I had set it up with the Best Tractor? I imagine so.

You might consider ordering one and setting up your existing arm/cart using the Best Tractor and see if the objectionable recordings diminish in number.
Thanks Tvad, I will look into that, it may be the VPI allignment jig is not the best means to proper allignment. In the meantime, I'm trying a thread belt vs. the VPI rubber belt, we shall see.
My comment about you picking the "wrong" turntable is based upon your own statements:

At a recent audio show I spoke with perhaps 20 audio dealers/distributors about whether I should purchase a VPI or Nottingham tt. I specifically asked which would be the more musical sounding. About 70% of them (most did not sell either line) favored the Nottinghams.

I almost pulled the trigger on the same Scheu tt and tonearm you own at an audio show a few months ago. Even had a home demo setup with the dealer, PrimeOne Media out of Canton Mi. Ended up with the VPI setup because I ran into an opportuntiy to purchase the whole VPI line at a substantial discount on a continuing basis.

It sounds to me that based upon the sonics you would have preferred either turntable to the VPI. Did the other turntables also make you 70s rock recordings sound unpleasant?

I am perfectly happy with the VPI when synergy is attained. It sounds wonderful with well recorded lps and lousy with lousy recordings, isn't that how it should be

Why does it have to be that way? The fact that your system makes some recordings sound less than stellar is one thing, but a well sorted out system shouldn't spotlight a recording's imperfections. A top flight recording studio system should spotlight imperfections since the system is being used as a tool. That's not the goal of a home system and one shouldn't have that spotlighting problem.

I thought it was accepted that high resolution was the goal of higher audio.

No! The goal of higher audio is basically the same as lower audio, namely to enjoy listening to music. The methodology and the equipment employed will differ, but it's still the same goal. I don't think anybody would intentionally put together a system that makes their favorite recordings sound unpleasant, but it can happen. It's my opinion that you're more likely to end up unhappy if you focus too much upon resolution, musicality, soundstage, etc. and not enough upon the big picture goal of finding enjoyment through listening to well reproduced music.

It might help if you describe the rest of your system.