Berkeley DAC Series 1, anything better 2.5K$

Hey guys,

I am about to plunge for a used Berkeley DAC Alpha Series 1 that will set me back by $2200.

I have heard it in comparison with Benchmark and there is no comparison. I did A/B test it with the Series 2, but did not think the difference was worth paying 3000$ extra.

However before taking the plunge I was wondering if there are any other DACs < 2.5K that might beat the Series 1 (its pretty old).

There are so many DACs and so little time so thought someone hear might be able to help. Am I making a big mistake overlooking the new kids on the block (QuteHD or Yamamoto) that might outperform the venerable Berkeley Alpha Series 1.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
essrand
There's a Bel Canto DAC3.5VB for sale here. A bit more expensive than the Berkeley you're looking at, but comes with its own "Virtual Battery" power supply that really takes things to another level. I had the 3.0 and 3.0VB in my system for a demo and the VB version was significantly better. I think there's a new review of it on Soundstage or Ultra Audio or something.

Sabai, where does the NAD improve over the Berkeley? Just curious what you found.
Thanks for your response guys.

I get the feeling maybe I should spend some time looking at other alternatives.

Sabai, your comment is very interesting, since I am about to receive a NAD M51 on a 60 day trial though I won't be able to directly compare it to Berkeley Series 1.

Charles1Dad, your post about Yamamoto from sometime back made me mention Yamamoto in my post, I do not know if there is any dealer near San Francisco for Yamamoto.

Mytek was also on my shortlist, I think they allow home trial.

Audioracle, how do I audition or home-audition an Auralic.
Esstrand,
The American distributor for Yamamoto is Ratoc Systems.com they're in Santa Clara, CA. I've read very good things about the Auralic DAC and I know it has more features and flexibility. When it comes to pure sound quality the Yamamoto will compete with the very best.
Charles,
Any new dac I would buy would have to include DSD playback. There are a lot of small recording studios starting to produce some very nice recordings in DSD. I am thrilled with my Auralic Vega and a lot of audiophiles like the Mytec. The Computer Audiophile site is great for info.