Technics SL1200: Baerwald or 1200 white gauge?

Hello Guys,

I always used the original Technics SL1200 white plastic gauge to set my cartridges and I have always been happy about the results even I changed many cartridges.
Well , I have read on the net about the MintLp Tractor or the Wally Tractor (looks the same as the other one) used on the Technics SL1200 to give the Baerwald null points
I never tried those Tractors .. and I'm curious about the sonical difference
Anyone here has already tried them? .. and what is the sonic improvement or difference regarding the original gauge setting?

Thanks to everyone for your opinions
128x128curio
are you sure Tvad about the correct soundstage/depth/front-rear perspective of your MintLP setup?

Curio (Threads | Answers)
I am sure what I hear now is better than it was using the Baerwald protractor or the Technics jig. As I have repeated, there is more to the MintLP set-up than overhang.

Once you've tried it, you'll know. Until then, I think the debate has run its useful course.
Dan, how dare are you to criticize technics gauge?! it was precision molded on multimillion dollars Swiss made equipment armed by proven rules of divine geometry.
Tvad,
the technics factory aliment sounds that good so, I don't have any need to go to some garage made tool.

Curio,
different aligment will give you different amount of distortion at given distance from spindle, then it was originally intended by Technics designers. Depending on the material, cartridge, diamond profile it could sound better or worst. But, on average, technics default alignment will sound better.
If the Technics jig works for you, then terrific.

I sense from your other posts in other threads, that the price of the MintLP may be an obstacle, and you are therefore steadfastly defending the less expensive alternative. That's why I suggested borrowing a MintLP. Why not open your universe of potential? At least you would have tried it and not dismissed it out of hand.

For me, this discussion has run its course. The only folks dubious of the superiority of the MintLP over the Technics jig have not tried the MintLP, and they are not educated as to what it accomplishes.

One cannot have a useful discussion if some participants choose to not be fully versed on the topic.
|There is much more involved than overhang.
what more, VTA?
no way you can dial the VTA visually unless you are using some powerful microscope that can focus where your stylus contacts the LP and measure the angle on say computer screen. Dialing VTA using ears is a breeze and very repeatable on Technics.

I seriously doubt that you correct significantly off azimuth. Many today's manufactured cartridges are not properly aligned related to the azimuth. Such cartridge/stylus should be promptly replaced. Manufactures should learn a lesson that we are not going to tolerate this.