Technics SL1200: Baerwald or 1200 white gauge?

Hello Guys,

I always used the original Technics SL1200 white plastic gauge to set my cartridges and I have always been happy about the results even I changed many cartridges.
Well , I have read on the net about the MintLp Tractor or the Wally Tractor (looks the same as the other one) used on the Technics SL1200 to give the Baerwald null points
I never tried those Tractors .. and I'm curious about the sonical difference
Anyone here has already tried them? .. and what is the sonic improvement or difference regarding the original gauge setting?

Thanks to everyone for your opinions
128x128curio
Dan_ed, I feel the Alignment with Mintlp Tractor can be done in one sitting but a quite long one. I myself took about 1 hour 45 minutes before feeling confident that I'd never have to go back again. Insuring that I did indeed have exacting precise Spindle-Pivot Distance, and providing Yip with this info, I had eventually noted "absoilutely poifect" tracing of the Arc at both extremes, but this of course is only 1/2 the battle!

Then comes zenith angle adjustment, and of course, this then becomes another monkey wrench-fly in the ointment, as making any adjustments in this regard will-can skew your hard worked-on overhang. So, it's back, and forth, and I found I walked away, and came back to the Table a good 1/2 dozen times, took a break, took a deep breath, and then back again at it.

Of course there's no law that says "this is it", and of course, I'll agree with you Dan_ed, that all parameters-adjustments on a Table should be periodically checked.

Of course as has been brought up before, and Doug Deacon I believe commented about this, and that is the fine tuning of VTA, as some of you folks do like to do almost on a "per record basis".

By varying VTA, this will of course slightly alter Overhang, and possbly as well Zenith Angle to an extent. I haven't my Airy 3X to be quite so sensitive to altering VTA all the time. Mark
I would like to know if there is big difference between what Turntable Basics offers for $20 to the $110 for the MintLp. I took a look at the MintLp site and the only difference I saw was it was optimized for each arm. Oh, and the lines are on an attached plastic sheet rather than etched on the glass. It provides for two null points. I use the Turntable Basics tool for my Linn/Ittok/ATOC9 setup, Dual CS5000/Grado Gold and a Fisher Studio Standard/AT440Mla.
P.S. I am not affliated with any brand or company nor a reviewer. Just a long time amateur audiophile trying to get by on the cheap!

11-14-08: Bgpowell
I would like to know if there is big difference between what Turntable Basics offers for $20 to the $110 for the MintLp.
Yes, there is a significant difference: primarily the fine lines and cross points on the MintLP that allow the user to carefully dial in overhang and cantilever alignment. I owned the Turntable Basics protractor, and I can say unconditionally the MintLP is a significantly better tool.

Also, what is being overlooked is the outstanding step-by-step directions provided with the MintLP that guide the user through the process. IMO, the instructions alone are half the value.
Mark,

Alignment, especially with the MintLP, is never done. It is impossible to reach "done". But each of us is certainly within our individual freedom to decide "I don't want to keep trying for more, what I have achieved now is good enough for me", and stop there. At least now we have a tool that can take us as far as we choose to go.

To me the overhang is only the beginning of what the MintLP can do. I found that much more benefit is obtained from iterating the stylus alignment.

All, do a search here on MintLP and you'll find two or three excellent and lengthy threads on this subject. Several people, most notably Palasr who brought the MintLP to our attention, have used just about every protractor out there and offer comparisons to the MintLP.
Dan_ed,
Not trying to be rude at all, but why wouldn"t it (The Alignment with the Mintlp Tractor) be "done"?

The platter isn't going to move, the Arm Base-Am isn't either, and provided the Cartridge doesn't drift on the Headshell, I see no personal reason to continue to distrust myself in that I somehow was "blind" that day, and only imagined I had the Stylus perfectly tracing the Arc, and the Cantilever in perfect harmony with the Reference Null Grid's Lines.

Under those circumstances, and the fact that I haven't played with VTA since, I don't truly understand why the Alignment is "never done"?

Yes Bgpowell, there was a marked improvement I noted from doing further refinement from the TB Tractor, to the Mintlp, and again, I will say that the Mintlp was well worth the money spent.

And I as well have no affiliation, nor axes to grind with TB, or any other Protractor brand-model.

The TB Tractor is a fine bang for the buck piece of gear, and I do as well highly recommend it as a less expensive alternative. If you search the archives on the TB Tractor, you may find posts about it, and how it is mentioned how one can enhance the use of this Tractor, with Thread to aid in sighting the Arm Pivot.

I also recommend the use of good Lights, Magnifiers, Loupes, and any other tool, or crerature comfort which you can use to your advantage in trying to achieve the very best alignment you can. The time, and effort in all cases is well worth it. Mark