Senior Audiophiles - Audiophile since the 60-70's?

How many Senior (true) Audiophiles do we have here since the 70's or prior?

What was your favorite decade and why?

What are your thoughts of the current state of Audio?

Would you trade your current system for a past system?
brianmgrarcom
Q>What was your favorite decade and why?

Well they tell me the 60s were great and that I had a hell of a system but I can't remember anything about it.

Q>What are your thoughts of the current state of Audio?

I can only hear to 12khz so I can't tell but all the Audio mags have that glossy wannabe look like GQ or Cosmopolitan or something.(my eyes are still good)

Q>Would you trade your current system for a past system?

No, I've been working on "half range" drivers that get a few octaves above A (440hz) that really do the job for me. All those full range drivers and speakers...who needs em?

Shouldn't Audigon have a senior discount and a Card or something? The "Double AA" (Audiogon Assoc. of Aging Audiophiles). We can play shuffle board games with old cds and stuff like that.

Sncerely
I remain,
I object strenuously to the "senior" label, but I've been interested in the quality of playback systems since the late 60's. As a college freshman what I could afford was not high-end, but it was interesting, a KLH Model 11 in walnut. Record player with built in amp and little speakers. They made a version in a suitcase style that Sandy Koufax used to take on road trips to listen to Sinatra. (Because of his demeanor, people used to assume he was listening to classical.) I was so fond of that littel all-in-one "system" that I think of it all the time when I see the little shoebox sized LS3/5a's and Harbeth HL-P3's.

It wasnt until the early 70's that I became aware of the high-end and started listening to a guy named Skip Weshner on KFAC in LA. (Skip was married to Ronnie Gilbert of the Weavers.) It was a classical station but he played whatever he liked that sounded good, on high end equipment lent to him as demos by his high-end retailer advertisers. From him, I learned about a store called Dimensions in Stereo, where I used to hang out, but couldnt afford to buy much. I even did some market research for a high end rep firm as a field study project for my MBA.

Maybe we simply show our age when we say the music of the late 60's and early 70's is our favorite, but it was the desire to get as close to the real in-person sound of Tracy Nelson (Mother Earth), and my endless quest for copies of the Barbara Keith lp that Warner Brothers pulled and deleted when she gave back her contract and abandoned the business (it was and is the best album ever made by a girl singer) that really got me hooked. I liked classical too and went to a lot of concerts, but the music of people our age at that time just resonated with all of us, I think. I wonder if 18 to 25 year olds feel the same way now?

I suppose the happiest time was when my kids were babies and toddlers and Alison Krauss was just a few years into her career and my wife and friends and I would go to performances at McCabe's guitar shop in Santa Monica Cal on a fairly frequent basis.

But, I really think that now is the best time. I know that some high end equipment is ridiculously overpriced, but there are a lot of good values out there. You can get really good sound for not much money, and my current systems give me the best sound I've ever had in my home.

Furthermore, all the music you liked in the 60's and 70's can be found on cd. I even bought a cd of the Barbara Keith lp that I can play over and over without worrying about wearing it out. Great performers from the early 70's continue to put out good work, Los Lobos, John Hiatt, Irma Thomas, Merle Haggard to name some of my favorites. Barbara Keith even returned to the business with her husband and stepson as a little family band called the Stone Coyotes.

And, 30 years ago, we didnt have the music of Alison Krauss (a gift from above), Gillian Welch, Eva Cassidy, Mary Black, Maura O'Connell, Lucinda Williams or Iris Dement (like Barbara Keith, an absolute genius). Or name your favorites who weren't around back then.

These are the best times.

Paul
I started in 1969 - My father gave me an old Bogen integrated tube amplifier, an old Garrard turntable, and Radio Shack speakers to take to school - Now that's a great Dad - paid to send me to school and made sure my audio needs were being met. I also always enjoyed listening to music with my Dad. Anyway, I went next to a Dynaco SCA-35 integrated tube, AR turntable, and brand x speakers. Next couple of years were lost with a couple of receivers, then I tried a Dynaco PAT-5 pre-amp and Stereo 120 amplifier. Then to a Radford pre-amp and Phase Linear 400 and Bozak Symphonies. Then I moved to Audio Research SP3A and D75A amplifier to D76 to D76A and Magneplanar Tympani 1Cs and, then in the late 70s, Audio Research SP4 preamp and D100A amplifier and then D100B. And then came the dark ages after my first divorce and my second marriage where audio became a dirty word. The dark ages lasted about 10 years but the torture did not affect my hearing! To make a long story a little bit shorter - I am now with Audio Research VT100 MKII and LS-25, Altis Audio Reference DAC and CDT III transport, Dunlavy SC-IVs, and a significant investment in cables, vibration control, etc., etc. (And third marriage....) Certainly my best system ever. I should have bought stock in Audio Research, obviously. Now I am looking at single driver speakers and SET amplifiers??? My favorite time period for equipment is now. The massive exchange (forums and reviews) of information on the internet on the vast variety of equipment is just fascinating to me. Also, back in the 70s when there were much fewer brands of high end equipment and models, many folks were very hung up about their system being the best - everything else was junk... One of the reasons I lost interest in the early 80's was because this "audio macho psychosis" was taking away from the enjoyment. Today, audiophiles for the most part are more astute to the variety of tastes and options available. They recognize and accept more readily that everyone's opinion is valid. The discussion of whether cables make a difference or power conditioning or vibration control is important does get a little old. My favorite music period was the late 60s thru the late 70s. Rock music was certainly more cerebral - went better with the drugs. I liked classical also but at that time I was not overwhelmed with the massive inventory that exists now. Now I almost get frustrated trying to learn and hear all the classical music available - plus all the different versions - conductors - symphonies - soloists - but then again that is the type of problem we enjoy having. However, regardless of whether you are talking about equipment or music, sharing your ideas, system, and music with fellow audiophiles is the greatest enjoyment!
Yep the old Magnavox console in the den in the 60's when I was growing up was the best. Spent hours listening to the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, the Byrds, Bob Dylan, and Jimi Hendrix. Got into some jazz with Charles Lloyd. Got inspired by the music to teach myself to play songs off the Dylan Blonde on Blonde album. Had a basement band with friends and got some heavy jam sessions going with "Gloria", "Louie, Louie" and "Get off my Cloud" playing a crappy bass through a Fender bassman, picking up drums at times. Hey, still friends with the drummer! (We've been friends 45 years!) After that it was always a matter of what I could afford, buying and selling stuff to keep going. The big dive into audiophilia started with Magnepan II's then Acoustat III's, a Linn turntable and Apt preamp. Owned that stuff for nearly 20 years. Then the upgrade bug hit me, but can't really say I've found the perfect sound yet.