VPI Classic and ZYX Airy 3 X SB...good match?

Hello everybody,

I have decided to purchase a VPI classic with sds, peripheral ring and HRX clamp after collecting many opinions.
Music I like to listen to is prevalent acoustic, vocal, classic music and jazz (NO Rock).
I like neutral sound, precise tracking, no coloration, but still full body/harmonic sound.
I know I am asking for a bit too much perhaps but by reading on the forum and elsewhere the cartridge that would better match all these specs would be the ZYX Airy 3 X with the Silver base option to overcome the light tonearm's issue.
Now it is time to purchase the pick up...but since it is not so cheap I want to make sure I am doing the right thing and that is why I am addressing a new post here hoping to collect some more useful thoughts in this regard.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Best,
Stefano.
stefanoo
another cart you can consider which i have heard for a length of time w/ the Classic TT is the Shelter 501, Shelter 5000.
Both are great !!
Good luck.
thanks for the advice. I know they are good carts but they belong to a different league of the 4D or Airy 3 I suppose.

Speaking of Atmos and 4D there is a webpage that explaines differences between the two models

http://www.kosmic.us/zyx-4d.html

section 4D & ATMOS FACTS

From what they describe the 2 pick ups seem to be different and seems like since they discontinued the Universe as well, the new 4D might be really close to the Universe.

Unless somebody runs a comparison between the 4D and the Atmos and Universe....I haven't find any information in this regard.
The information that seems to be provided, is full of holes.
Firstly, the 4D was not the first ZYX Cartridge that was de-nuded, it was the Atmos.

Whether you wish to believe these statments made, is up to you, to buy the 4D at almost twice the price of the Atmos.

Sadly, I have to admit, ZYX has corn-holed themselves, and after Mehran sells out, I cannot see ZYX even being sold in america anymore. Sibatech has screwed themselves loyally, and the american consumers will probably never nuy ZYX again. Not unless, or till Sibatech instructs their current dealer network to ever assume that us americans in this market are a unch of fools with money to throw away.

Otherwise, buying from Mehran is a safe bet. The only other problem I forsee, is what happens when that cartridge you buy from him needs a repair, or re-tip?
Does one wish to patronize Sibatech? That is the question? Mark
Sorry but I don't se any hole actually.
The information was given says that 4D from 2008 onwards got a new magnetic circuit and new generator derivation from the Omega series which sounds great to me as the omega series is the higher level.
This modifications weren't made available on the Atmos as it was discountinued and thus replaced by the 4D along with the universe (discontinued too).
It would be very interesting to compare the Atmos Universe and 4D.

Prices are really high now but it looks like it was Mehran to offer such a good discount.
Retail prices has always been pretty much the same.
Now I do not know the policy of the company but if they do think they make really high end stuff, they probably don't like to see their stuff sold for much less than what they think they are worth it.
As customer I wish everybody would be as nice and as generous as Merhan!!!! that's all!!!

Speaking of the 4D I personally think it is very close if not better than the Universe accordingly to the description.
If the Atmos was already better than the A3 and half way between that and the Universe, if the 4D is even a bit improved my guess is that it steps on the Univers's toes!! I wish I would have them both (or all 3) at my beside and have fun trying to swap them!! :((
I'm sort of sorry for my last post, because it wasn't a productive one. Most of this has been debated quite at length ad nauseum in the past, and it actually does little good to rehash this topic again.

The info we have from Mehran, of course differs, and who was a dealer, and the main USA Distributor at the time the 4D was "supposedly" improved (2008).

I end with agreement with what Doug Deacon has said, and concur, that the Airy 3, Atmos, or UNIverse are all going to immensely please you, and to pick what fits your budget. Yes, if you pick the Airy 3 like I have, you may then regret not going even further up the ZYX line. Not that the Airy 3 lacks. But once you would live with a cartridge such as the Airy 3, you'll begin to wonder how can it get even better than this!?

I like the Airy 3 so much, trust me when I say I often think of ways how I can buy another one of these wonderful cartridges, and as well own the Atmos, or UNIverse before the opportunity of such good prices is gone. Mark