Graham Phantom DV XV-1s setup question

I took the plunge and moved from a DV XX2 MkII to the DV XV-1s :-) My TT is the TW Raven One. I have been playing around with the setup and currently have the loading at 100ohms, VTF 1.87gram, no anti-skate and no damping fluid.

After doing some searches read about the 2.5 tracking force option. I tried it at 2.20 grams for a couple of days and briefly at 2.50grams and it seemed to kill the dynamics. What I am experiencing now is slight thin/bright sound on some recordings, not what most people report as the character of this cartridge. Moving the VTF seems to kill the dynamics.

I've only had it now for 3 weeks, 20-30 hours. Is this the breakin character of the cartridge? is anyone using the damping fluid with this cartridge? how much if you are? Ideas? my phono stage can do 30,100,500,1000,47K.

Thanks!
128x128musichead
I'm not gonna argue w VAC but I will also tell you that my VAC Ren Mk2 phono stage has more than sufficient gain for a 0.3 mV LOMC. I'll also tell you that the KAB phono pre-amp calculator shows 62 dB (which is in fact the spec for gain for the MC input for a Ren mk2) to be optimal for 0.3 mV cart. Leaving theory aside, I've heard it w my own ears in my system and in doug's. However, my Ren Mk2 had two phono inputs, one for MM and one for MC. Are you SURE you have the phono plugged in to the proper input. I also note from VAC's website that the newer Ren MK3 can apparently be configured for 2 MMs; is it possible that yours is a late model Mk2 that is set up for MM only despite there being an MM/MC switch (their picture of the back panel of the Mk3 shows the MM/MC switch or dial and a loading dial). My Mk2 did not have externally adjustable loading but yours apparently does so its not a stretch to think it is set up similar to the MK3 on the website. If you got it new, check w your dealer; if not ask VAC to check their records using the s/n of your exact unit. If it was purchased used, its possible that the gain was customin=zed for the initial purchaser who might have had a v high gain amp or v sensitive speakers. I'd be very hesitant to lay this on the VAC's phono stage (gain or otherwise). The VAC h
My VAC is the latest Sig. MK2a, it's only a couple of months old purchased "NEW".

My friend "Rickmak" was nice enough to come by earlier today and completed the initial set-up which was really appreciated. Everything is brand new, Stealth Hyperphono cable, cart, arm with no hours including the phono stage of the VAC unit so it's now time to just chil and put some hours in and then Rick will come back to re-ajust.

There was a bit of an issue with antiskating but that has now been taken care of, Rick can tell you what the culprit was.

I'm looking forward to doing some listening.

THX Rick.

Doug: Centering the coils is why Immedia suggests letting the cartridge sit on the LP while using the Audio Physics fluxbuster.
Myles,

That makes good sense for active demagging/fluxbusting, where the potentially conflicting requirements for music play don't exist.

1. The LP need not be spinning, there's no need to optimize VTF for clean tracking.
2. You're not playing a modulated groove, there's no need to optimize VTF for maximum cantilever freedom.

Maximizing the fluxbusting effect obviously requires that the coils be centered in the fields. Now tell us the precise VTF that centers the coils when the cantilever isn't moving - good luck! ;-)

Whether one should actively demag a cartridge at all is of course subject to debate. As I'm sure you know, active demagging would destroy any MM, any MI and some HOMCs. Whether a LOMC should be actively demagged depends on the cartridge. Many LOMC manufacturers advise against it and will void the owner's warranty if it's done. FWIW, I prefer the less dangerous "demagging" tracks on the Cardas LP.
I closed the chapter demagging/fluxbusting 10 years ago. And yes, I had this Audio Physics unit. I developed this idea, because I didn't want to ruin my cartridge, looked for an indian medicine man and found a retired Apache. 2x a week he dances around my Turntable, charges me a few $ and it sounds better after that. No danger and good for my garden, too. When he leaves my place, it is raining, too.