turntable recommendations for a vinyl newbie...

Hello,
As some of you might know, I have invested megabucks into digital audio - now being finally satisfied with my custom Audio Note DAC + PWT transport... So I am curious as to how vinyl may compare... I know, I know, but I want to hear for myself in my own system.

So, I am interested in a turntable set up that will be fairly competitive against my Audio Note digital front end, yet will not be expensive (incase I bail) - in other words used.

I have a Micro Seiki DD-40 in mind - would this work? or is there something else that would sound better for around the sub $1000 mark used???

remember, at this point, I know little about TT. and I plan on connecting to my Atma-Sphere pre...

thank you
128x128grateful
a $6500 MF TriVista SACD player (now a $6500 paper weight BTW).
Srwooten (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)
Why is it a paperweight? I remember it receiving glowing reviews. It's a shame that it doesn't work any longer.
Here is what I did after being away from vinyl for 25 years. I bought a used Thorens td166mkii bought a v-lps phono stage and a denon 103r cartridge along with a spin clean washer system. The set-up sounds very good and I have less than a grand invested. My cd player is a heavily modded scd-1 a Cary sli-80f1 and Focal 1007 be monitors and all HGA silver cabling.

CHuck
When you are used to the CDP convenients it's my estimation that you better find a fit & forget set-up.
Take a look for a Denon DP80/Reed Q3(12")/Vdh CONDOR if you reconsider the total expense. Other than an added slate plinth & some footers & a mat, I don't think you will ever going for upgrade with this.

George
If you know little about vinyl, and I'm assuming you don't want to (or can't) employ the services of a good dealer (which you should) I suggest buying a Music Hall MMF5 and about 10 new records from Acoustic Sounds and see how you like dealing with it. It's either going to click with you or not. The MMF5 is not a great tt, but, having owned one, I think it's good enough to let you know whether you want to continue down the vinyl road. If you decide to sell, you'll lose a couple hundred. I would not deal with old thrift-shop records, as they will be noisy, dirty and damaged and will invariably diminish your pleasure at this stage. Better Records also has many sealed or mint copies of older vinyl and their grading system is right on. Mint means mint. Plus, for $5, they'll clean the records for you, saving you the investment in a machine which you WILL need should you get serious about vinyl.

I enjoy my digital setup very much and do most of my listening with it. But I think analog is worth exploring, and when done well, can be a source of much pleasure - or grief. Like everything else in this hobby. Good luck
Ah you have a beautiful system , first of all get a good phonoamplifier with sufficient gain thats were most analogue systems go wrong in my opinion and also a lot of " dealers" , i suppose a atmasphere could be build in your atma pre .
There are plenty of good tables and cartridges