zyx Airy R-1000 cosmos - vs Benz LP S ?

Hi - I have killed my zyx and am considering a change to Benz - has anyone out there had an opportunity to compare zyx with the current LP ( I have a triplanar arm )

Thanks for any thoughts,

Cheers
pjwd
Markd51. I normally do qualify my statements to say my experience reflects my experience, in my system. I did'nt in this case.
You are quite right that there may have been a mismatch in my system, though I was uprating my LP playback at the time and the Zyx was mounted in an OL illustrious, Jelco and Ortofon 309D and at least once, was set up professionally. It went through a K&K phono stage. The catridge could have been defective, I believe that does happen with catridges. I was suprised at the performance myself
Chaps,

thanks for the thoughtfull responses - the new pre is a halcro Dm10 and it is a shame the zyx died at the same time I introduced it otherwise I would have a direct comparison to share
I am not convinced about the noton of system mismatch - possibly more an issue of compensating errors ( we all know about these} - you have to believe there is one true path ( well !!!)
I got the zyx cart on the basis of net buzz and it replaced a shelter 901 based on net buzz ( it was better )

leaning torward benz this time

Cheers,

Phil
I wonder if anyone ever had a ZYX re-tipped-repaired in recent times?

When you say "died", do you mean issues with the Stylus-Cantilever broken, or some other internal problems?

A shame such a fine Cartridge would just sit worthless.

I have never read much in the way of what ZYX-Sibatech does for a customer? What, if any rebuild-re-tip program, the prices, nada.

I'll at least say with Benz, their trade in/trade up program is a big plus. It at least gives some assurance, that after one spends so much money, that your cartridge if broken, doesn't turn into a shoebox resident.

I know I've been told from a respected acquaintance here (Doug D) that the Stylus quality of the ZYX is responsible for the great sound these Cartridges produce, but with good businesses like Soundsmith, the $350 top of the line re-tip seems an attractive option to me. One I would no doubt seriously investigate should anything ever happen to mine.

Probably without a doubt, a fresh Soundsmith re-tip-rebuild sounds a whole lot better, than a worn out ZYX Stylus, and Suspension. And for sure, a wonderful ZYX that is now relegated to live in its Box broken.

I've never heard of anyone here having a ZYX at Soundsmith for repair, but would sure like to, and what the results were? Mark
Markd51 - I have had a broken cantilever repaired previously but zyx appear only to do a trade up system now. It is still quite generous but more than just a retip cost as per benz.

I had a previous shelter 901 rebuilt by Garrot Bros ( ahem - a broken cantilever again) and I thought they did a very good job

Cheers,

Phil