Nude Turntable Project

I could not fit the whole story in this Forum so have had to add it to my System Page.
I am attempting to hear if a 'naked' DD turntable can sound as good as Raul claims.
Please click the link below to read the story.
NUDE TT81
128x128halcro
Hi Brian,
Congratulations on your TT-101.
The drawings have been sent.
Good luck.
Henry
Thanks Ecir38,
It's not your fault.....it's my stupidity.
I suspect that Stanwal and others are correct in the placement theory of my Victor in relation to the speaker/subwoofer/corner but I need my preamp back to test it out?
A spare phono wouldn't work as the whole preamp with inbuilt phono-stage needs to be sent to the technician.
I do have a spare preamp but......whilst in storage....the left channel stopped working so it has also gone to the technician!
Additionally.....things have changed in my set-up.
I now use fully balanced connections between pre and amps as well as balanced phono cables from all but 2 of my arms.
The back-up preamp does not have any balanced inputs or outputs.
You win some.......you lose some :-(
"It is now possible for me to design a circular aluminium frame cut and welded out of 10mm thick flats into which I can just 'drop' the Victor."

Be careful, Henry, that's what some of us call "a plinth".

If you want to take the time to describe in greater detail the events surrounding your disaster, perhaps I can help. I have quite a bit of DIY experience. From what you wrote, I don't have a clear idea. Was the Cu180 placed UNDER the TT101 prior to the event? And what exactly was the "event"? A burst of very high level signal is a danger to speakers primarily; I would not expect it to damage a phono stage or other electronic devices. An alternative hypothesis is that something blew in the phono stage, which is what you heard as a burst of loud noise. Nothing to do with acoustic feedback. But I don't know all the facts.
I was also thinking shouldn't the speakers been damaged and not the phono stage. You may be right Lew that something was going array in the FF line stage.
Lewm,
My take from his description is that he unmuted the preamp when MC was selected with the volume up and a MM installed - hence this probably blew the phono stage.
Now the feedback he referred to in the other thread could be any of physical, acoustic or electrical. We dont have enough info as you say.
Physical - just put the TT on a rubber sponge and see if it changes the level of feedback, if so this suggests physical. Swap the TT's around and recheck.
Electrical - could be earthing related or could be adverse reaction from combo of cartridge & 2.5 metres of Cardas litz, ie tuned circuit from those cartridges and cabling is upsetting the phono stage.