VPI Scout to Michell Orbe SE

So what could I expect if I trade in my VPI Scout for a Michell Orbe with a Michell Techno arm. I will keep my cart. For the rest of my set see "system".

How does a stock VPI Scout Compare to a Michell Orbe? I know the Michell is more expensive but is it also better?
To be 100% honest, I can get a decent deal on a 2nd hand Orbe SE and I think it is such a beautiful turntable. But I don't what to buy it just for the looks. So can anyone give me some advise?
mordante
I have an Orbe SE + SME V arm. I am using a Shelter 901 and another small outfit hand-built cartridge from Taiwan as my carts. Two of my closest friends are currently using the Scoutmasters, one with a Shelter 901, and the other with a Lyra Skyla. The third person sold his, similar to Agiaccio's setup, and went with a Clearaudio Anniversary.

As my house is currently going through a major renovation, and my system are stored in a storage, I've been listening to the VPIs through and through pretty much every week or two.

It's funny how the magazines from each respective countries think of these two tables. The VPI appears in Stereophile/TAS recommended list all the time. But Michell is never mentioned. If you look at Hi-Fi+ and other British magazines, and for that matter, other European magazines, Michell is always listed in them as one of the top class A analog components.

I never directly compare the two as my friend's systems and rooms are all very different from each other. I think both are solid performers. But both tables face different set up challenges to dial them in correctly. Michell could be difficult to set up trying to get the right "bounce", but using an SME arm gives you ability to fine tune your cartridge. VPI is not that tough to set up the table itself. But my friends all had some rumbling problems using that new big flying wheel outboard motor. The biggest complaint they have is with the arm. The VPI arm is just terrible. There are no finite adjustment available. And there are no scales on the dials to reference, so if you try a new setting and you can never go back to the original setting precisely. And I think some adjustment is missing completely from the VPI arm, but I cannot remember what it is.

In terms of aesthetics, I think Michell Orbe SE scores a much, much higher points for me than the VPI. But that's just me.

To end the note, I would only say that so far none of us is convinced that the other table is better than our own, or able to convince the other. Their systems sound great with classical music (their predominate choice of music), but not so good with more intimate Jazz music (my predominate choice). My system just happens to be the opposite. I have no plan to change mine, but another VPI owner is ready to ditch his and upgrade to something else like a Raven AC-1 or Brinkman.

FrankC
Thank you all for the replies. It gives me something to think about. I have been to an audio show today. It seems the Dutch importer of Acoustic Signature is really pushing their turntables. It is good the a "new" brand gives the old ones something to think about.
Acoustic Signature's been around for a long time. I think there was a break up of the partners or something so there's like two different companies with essentially the same table, one is Acoustic Signature, and I can't remember the name of the other company.

FrankC
I didn't know that. I used to see a lot of Clearaudio, VPI and Rega turntables at shows and some more exotic brands like Brinkmann. While the exotic brands are still there I see less Clearaudio a lot less, still some VPI and Rega but I see many more Acoustic Signature.
Gundam91 Making statements that the VPI arms are terrible puts you in a position of being either a liar, or grossly misinformed. The VPI arms are a bit of a challenge to set up correctly, but if the directions are closely followed, the performance is in the range of the very best arms available. Also, someone posted that he got rid of his VPI arm because of sibilants.... clearly he set up his arm poorly..especially with respect to azimuth. VPI makes some of the best tables and arms that there are. As you go up their product line, the tables are bettered, however, even the less expensive tables provide great value, and performance.