Vincent PHO-8? Jolida JD-9A,? Phono Pre's $350-500

I have a Technics DD and Audio Technica AT150MLX. Current phono preamp is a Cambridge Audio 640P. Looking to upgrade for $350-500 IF it yields a significant improvement.

Candidates I've read about include the Vincent PHO-8 and the JoLiDa JD-9A (tubed) pre. The Jolida evidently responds well to tweaking--better tubes, tube ring dampers, chassis damping.

So... What do you like in this price range? Anybody with the Jolida? How about the Pro-ject Tube Box or Lehmann Black Cube, or something else I haven't heard of?

Or would I be better off saving my money toward a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum, which has a built-in phono stage?
johnnyb53
Graham Slee amp 2 SE for MM or HO MC is incredible. Don't buy the line that a tube phono only, is the best phono, to buy, trust me on this. I am otherwise all tube and a die hard as far as tube power amps and line pre amps go. If you are using MM or high output MC this phono stage is a giant killer. If you are using an MC low or typical MC output a new Graham Slee is above your price range, but the MC version used is in your price range.
You will save money using the built in phono of course, that is a given, but the Graham products are just phenomenal, especially in terms of giving you all the bass the recording has in it. Try it you will hear what I mean.
My current phono preamp is the Jolida JD9, having started with the built-ins in my Advent 300 and NAD 7140 and moving through a Hagerman Bugle, Monolithic PS-2/HC-2b, and Vista Audio Phono 1. The JD9 was slightly better than all of them until I upgraded the op-amps to OPA637; after that, it was majorly better than all of them. Tube rolling makes a difference, but my experience is that it changes the flavor, not the quality of the sound. Any tube needs to be quiet, though; the JD9 will plainly reveal noisy tubes.

Plenty of gain for even the lowest output MC, plus high and low gain outputs plus plus resistive and capacitive loading plus unlisted unlisted DIP switch combinations for in-between loadings.

Lots of other tweaks possible besides the op-amps if you really want to get into it - hexfreds, output caps, better resistors. A pretty amazing piece for $450 retail.

If you just need straight, no muss no fuss MM 47K, the Vista Audio is tough to beat. It's the past one I've kept as backup and if I can ever get my second tonearm mounted.

David
Hi Johnnyb53

My research of Phono preamps in the $350-$500 range produced a list almost exactly the same as yours along with Mechans' suggestion of the Graham Slee Phono preamp. The only ones to add would be the McCormack Phono Drive that can be found used in the $300 to $400 range. A used Bottlehead Seduction phono pre or the Bellari VP 529/530. These suggestions came from other members I e-mailed seperately, looking @ other audio forums and calls to various online e-tailers specializing in vinyl.

I took a page from your playbook and ended up getting a Cambridge Audio 640P to go long with the Technics SL-10 TT I got.

Good luck with the hunt.
Ive been using a jolida jd 9 for a few months now. Its great. Transparent and accurate i love the sound from this guy. Ive replaced the stock tubes. I like that youve got a lot room for this guy to grow with you in your system. It has a lot of control and variability.