How does the drum kit sound on your rig?

-
I have heard it said that if you dial in the cymbals the rest takes care of itself. Do you find this to be true?

Can your system go BANG! I don't mean letting the magic smoke out but the sound - BANG!
Not thud, thump, pfud, pud, etc, but BANG like a gun or hammer hitting a piece of wood.

BANG!
-
mikewerner
Johnnyb53

I have all those discs you mention and indeed David Garibldi is awesome.

I expect you likely enjoy Dennis Chambers. He does an amazing job on Roots and Grooves by Maceo Parker.

To get the full effect of a live kit in-room, I think I'd need about 2,000 wpc driving a pair of Wilson Alexandrias or equivalent from YG, Magico

A pair of ATC 100 ASL and an ATC 0.1/15 is more than sufficient in most home environments. Drummer and multi-instrumentalist Lenny Kravitz uses a pair ATC 200ASL and I have heard that a pair of Barefoot MM27 will also do the job (according to legendary producer and drummer Butch Vig).

Those who completely dismiss the need for such capabilities in a Hi-Fi are missing the point. It is about "High - Fidelity" which means that the setup can handle anything with the greatest fidelity. Anything less is guaranteed to deliver oodles of distortion even at modest levels when playing a "high-fidelity" recording (one that has the dynamic range of real instruments rather than compressed crap)

The big challenge with dynamics and percussion is "compression and distortion" - in order to sound realistic the system must not give out at the usual maximum of around 95 dB (mediocrity). Thermal compression and system distortion often rise exponentially above 95 dB meanwhile a drum set plays up to 110 dB cleanly....

Pretty good...I could use more power, though :-) My loudspeakers can handle a lot of power and produce very clean, crisp, and coherent sound.

A drum kit is an excellent instrument to evaluate a system/room.

Best regards,
Sam
Drums are the primary reason I listen to vinyl. Even on a modest system they have better dynamics and are warmer and more realistic sounding than on digital. Dialing in just the cymbals is tricky as it is highly dependent on how they were recorded. Mic placement, the mic and preamp make all the difference.

Assuming they are well recorded and still sound harsh, it could be the room. A bright live room contributes enough reflection to make them sound ringy. Sorry but there's no power cord in the world that will fix that. My rule of thumb is if they sound good on headphones, they should sound good in the room. If not, room treatment is a wise place to start.

recording. Room reflections